Why disabled people can’t afford to #DeleteFacebook - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why disabled people can’t afford to #DeleteFacebook

2»

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I wish I didn't need to use FB .I often go months without logging in. But if I want to keep in touch with/ friends/family in other countries, it's pretty much the only way.
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I like the fact that I can keep up to date with my friends that live all over the UK & don't have the money or health to visit regularly.
    I have found out through Facebook that some of my friends that live near me have had a few nights out & I haven't been invited as my friends thought I would be to sick to attend. I sometimes feel down when I see my friends out doing fun activities & I'm too poorly to go out.
    I've decided to keep Facebook but limit my time on it to once a week for 30min. This is keeps me up to date with people & local news without Facebook taking over my life.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Nothing beats face to face.... Maybe... But unfortunately my face is attached to my body which often finds it hard or impossible to get to another person with a face.

Respectfully  I think the point is that if you are able to get 12 miles away to the library and pop out to the shops then sure that's great... But the point of the article is those who are unable to leave their house. 

I had 3 years where when my husband and daughter left for work and school at 8am I was on my own, unable to leave the house till they returned in the evening. 

I have a powered wheelchair now so this is less often though I recently had a period of 5 weeks where I was ill and saw noone apart from husband and daughter in the evenings. Even the doctor was on the phone. 

Yet I had an active social life  chatting and enjoying my friends and family. Had lovely catch ups with my cousin and his new baby, photos, remembering my Grandad who has passed away.... They live in Australia. My school and  university friends live far and wide... And my local friends are working and have family to care for. I don't post content for people to simply 'like' ... It's an exchange of views, memories  making new memories... Exchanging pictures, videos, links to cool stuff... All while I am in bed often being distracted from pain and taking me away from depression dn loneliness. 

I'm also in many groups so I learn about all sorts of topics ranging from music (I'm a music teacher), education, aquariums, gardening, cooking, travel, animals, science, sci-fi, local issues, politics, etc.... I am unable to now work in a school, that I loved, but I contribute to lesson plans and  resources while also gathering ideas for the few pupils I have left. I can ask for meal ideas I'll use in the evening.... And travel/hobby ideas I'll use when I'm more able. 

Ive had sad times where I've popped a message on Facebook and had so much support, from friends I know well but could never ever get to their shoukder to cry on. And I've also been there for friends... Fo example I'm quite awesome at helping people with breastfeeding problems... And often my new mum friends are also unable to leave the house for support. 

I've met people for example our lovely friends a and a who we bought a fish talk from off Facebook. We met in real life about 6 years ago and have become firm friends. He is very disabled too and I've learnt so much from him about fish keeping, he was in local government and is such a cool chap.... But he is bed bound and I can't get up the steps to his house. 

If people are choosing to spend time on Facebook instead of seeing real people, this isn't Facebook's doing, it's people making a choice.

But I will never delete a tool that richens my life and transports the love to and from me and my friends. 

I use WhatsApp to keep in touch with my family in between visits. My daughter sends her school pictures, her daily news,... Random comedy selfies... To her Grannie and Grandad who live hours away. We see them, but would not be without the quality contact with have with them in between. 

I've just started using twitter and love it! I've debated and discussed alsorts with so many people. Lm.. Learnt so much and it enables me to catch up on the world which previously used to fly round the sun without me. 

Also, Facebook is monitored, by me. Its very easy to only post to friends, real friends and easy to not get unwanted content. It's a tool.... Like an axe can be used to make a house or star in a horror film Facebook can be used well or badly. 

Deleting is not the only way to improve use of social media. 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Social networking is what it is. "Friends" are not necessarily real friends, it's just a status that you can apply to people. With any networking of this kind it is important to apply appropriate security restraints and not put anything on there that shouldn't be there because it can be dangerous. The advert on TV showing how people can steal your identity from pictures is quite right. Just be careful.

Personally I find FB very superficial and don't like it much but it still has a purpose for me but I don't go beyond that. If people look me up they won't see much unless I "friend" them. After that what they see is whatever I let them see. However, it isn't worth putting anything serious on there because almost all people don't want to even acknowledge it. I did try Twitter but found it useless for me so stopped. I don't use anything else much except a social networking site for the over 50's.

I don't class Scope as SN because it's more of a BB (Bulletin Board), not quite the same thing imo.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't know how to use it.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.