So let's talk about — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So let's talk about

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2018 in Coffee lounge
This new data protection stuff.
Scope hasn't posted a thread about what this means for us, so I am taking that to mean that our sign up details are not sold on.

Am I correct in thinking it's about the little tick box that you didn't want to hear from other companies. Its now in place that companies will not pass on anything without consent, so you do not have to tick boxes! 
That's good as I hate spam email and junk mail. 

What implications- if any- will this have for the benefit system. Will this mean that dwp will not have consent to ask for more information on us to assist with a claim? 
I know they rarely contact the people on it, they tell you not to send anything you don't have. So setting you up to not have enough evidence( sorry I digress) But, will they have less on file about us now than before. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering

Hi Whistles,

We don’t share or sell your details to anyone. 

When people sign up to the community, they agree to the terms and conditions – this covers the legal info around posts and using the site. 

With regards to GDPR, we have updated our privacy statement which outlines how we use personal data across Scope. For the online community – we don’t actually store personal data.

For the DWP  – I’m not an expert – but I suspect it would not stop the DWP asking for information. They don’t need consent to contact you if there’s a “legitimate interest” (like if you’re applying for benefits from them).

GDPR does set out some rules that might affect things – for example, they shouldn’t keep your data longer than needed, they need to tell you how they use your information, they must keep it safe, and you’re allowed to see any personal data they have about you for free (it’s called a subject access request). You can find out more on the ICO website. I imagine subject access requests might be useful for appeals and tribunals.

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Darn it.

As a Salt 'n' Pepa fan I thought the end of your thread title was Let's talk about Sex. 

Oops. Better clean up my act.... 
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @mossycow hahaha I thought the same lol
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Ha no I would have put this in the other section. 
    Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks for the reply. Alex
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Didn't disappoint! 

Brightness