RECIPE IDEAS - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPE IDEAS

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Victoriad, hope so. Feeling a tiny bit better. Been away for the weekend to the great Loch Long, it was lovely ? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Victoriad said:
    Your stuffed green leaves...sound like a deliciously cheaper alternative to dolmades?....Greek stuffed vine leaves.

your filling would work in stuffed baked peppers too.

its a cross between sarma and dolma, simple idea easy to do, so med based food. I do stuffed peppers as well, they are great for bbq days, just wrap in tin foil and put on bbq. Spring greens are easy to grow as well, but fairly cheap to buy if you did not have the space, they taste more like cabbage leaves. You can also use cous cous instead of rice. Very versatile as I add them in to soups, stews, stir fry, make the parcels from them they are great :)

Every one in my house has a different topping, my favourite is green olives, blue cheese and spinach, hubby likes his as an all seasons, 1 child likes 3 cheese, 1 likes smoked sausage and an other likes smoked mackerel and tomato. The family that are coming up, one likes ham pineapple, another wants pepperoni and onion and the other likes bbq chicken and spring onion so a bit of prep work needed lol.

@susan48 not everyone has time to prepare and cook a meal from scratch every day, when you can you go for it, so do not stress about it :)

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    edited June 2018
    Preparing the kebab meat in advance for this weekend, this will serve all of us for dinner and have enough left overs for another night once family has gone.

Kebab meat

You will need, mixing bowl, large loaf tin, garlic press

1.5kg minced lamb ( I use 5% fat) , 5 cloves of garlic minced, 1tsp paprika, 2 tbsp onion powder,  1tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp corriander, 1tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp chilli flakes, 1 tsp salt and 1tsp pepper

Put all ingredients in a bowl and basically squish through with your hands till it is evenly mixed through and smooth, or put in a food processor for 2 minutes till well mixed and smooth.
    Transfer over into your loaf tin and put in oven for approx 2 hours at 180 for fan oven take out and leave to cool for about 20 minutes before slicing.

Serve with pre warmed pitta bread with thinly sliced cabbage some plain yoghurt and a good salad, you can always add extra into the pitta bread if you like more salad in it.

Cost for this is £9 for the meat, for pitta bread and salad and cabbage approx £3 This will be serving 8 people (5 large male eaters who always take extra) and will leave enough left over meat for me to do this another night for 5, or a few smaller lunches in the mini pitta bread pockets. If you are going to freeze the meat slice it before hand and put it in portions so it makes it easier in future. It works out less than £1 per person for this.
  • fishingmum
    Victoriad said:
    @fishingmum.......
    the toppings in this previous post....you were referring to pizza toppings? And not the stuffed cabbage leaves?

It might have been tortillas, had a quick look up and seen I had posted about tortilla fillings and frittatas before that so not sure which post you meant?

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Great recipes a challenge to you. I love your food and ideas but how about using minimum ingredients five is the maximum I use.

Have some cheats when the Pizza delivery guys drop there leaflets through the door.  Use of Pizza ingredients to use with Pasta.

Done Pizzaioli which is a Italian American Pasta all the ingredients on a Pizza on using Pasta.

Like Salami, Peppers, Mushrooms

Any suggestions glad to be pointed in the right direction.  Any recipes ideas five or less ingredients.

Thanks for all the information

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriad I see what you mean now, you were meaning the stuffing from the cabbage leaves as a pizza topping :)

@thespiceman that was my job lmho pizzaioli, my dad and brothers were pizzaiolo. The use of pizza toppings in pasta dishes are very common, you can mix it around, depending on sauce or oil base you are using.

As for 5 ingredients, that would be difficult for a basic sauce, if you think of a basic tomato based sauce, it uses oil, onions, tomatoes, oregano, basil and a little salt so that would be 6 plus your pasta, so 7 so unless a plain dish like eggs on toast, which is only 3 ingredients eggs bread and butter, there are not many that use 5 or less for dishes that include sauces.

Tuna pasta, Pasta enough for 2, tin of tuna, olive oil, spring onion sliced, parmesan grated.
    Boil the pasta and drain, cover with olive oil as much as you like, tip in the tin of tuna mix well add in spring onions mix over the heat for a minute then add over grated parmesan mix for a further minute ready to serve.

Another easy one left over spaghetti bolognese, 2 aubergines thinly sliced, oil and parmesan grated.
    You will need an oven dish and a frying pan chopping board and knife.

gently fry your aubergine slices for a couple of minutes till slightly browned, and drain on kitchen roll, place in the ovenproof dish cover with spaghetti bolognese then cover the top with the remainder of the aubergine slices add on your parmesan and put in oven for 40 minutes at 180 just cut slices out and serve.
  • [Deleted User]
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishing mum How are you? Just thought what I meant was five ingredients in making a meal have this last week or so used that to make a meal.

Tortellini with Peppers.

One jar of good quality pasta sauce Italian brands are best.
    One pack of Tortellini use veg ones with Spinach and Ricotta or Porcini buy in supermarkets various ones.
    Peppers use red ones or mix yellow and red
    That is  Option Basil Pesto to stir in.  Use Sachla best one.

Easy Microwave Tortellini in a Pyrex dish boiling water.

Jar sauce a portion just enough coat bottom of stockpot with diced peppers use food processor slicer

Add from microwave with slotted spoon Tortellini to stockpot to sauce.

Let it simmer gently on low heat warm through serve. Option use a teaspoon Basil Pesto.

You want pasta to coat sauce not drown. Easy and simple.

Often buy jar sauces I know it is a cheat but add pesto, red roasted peppers or sundried tomatoes to blender blitz up.

Buy both Basil variety and Red chilli one for a little kick in my meals

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriad, I speak very little mostly food based lol, but they were from the south west and moved over in the 40's so basically all English speakers now.

@thespiceman ok since I make everything then for me that is technically not 5 ingredients, even if it is a cheat, as each part of a dish that you make has several ingredients, for example a jar of pesto has 13 ingredients and that is not including the perservatives, homemade has 7 with no perservatives, the spinach and ricotta tortelloni has 15 where as my home made one has 8. So technically I use less ingredients than you do as you buy premade, I do understand your difficulty so you have to for ease, however I will stick with making it in full and put the recipe up, as from it you can see if you can buy a jar of something similar :)
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriad not just making do, its a way of life as well, less waste more creativity, or, fare fare e creare :)
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    of course, if not things would be stagnant, My hubby works with Italians and I am brushing up on oral language skills, which has been great recently, my son however does spanish as his gf is from there, so funny how some of the things written can look alike but the pronounciation is miles apart, yet French and Italian are extremely close. Languages are great :)

• fishingmum
    @debbiedo49 not as easy as thespicemans, this does take a little bit of time and measuring out.
    Chicken Korma

You will need a stock pot, a dish for marinading chicken, chopping board, knife, grater, crusher (back of knife handle would suffice) bowl for putting measured out spices in

Chicken marinade, 1.2 kg chicken diced into pieces, 80ml plain yoghurt, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp mild curry powder a little salt and pepper.
    Mix yoghurt with spices coat chicken and place in dish, cover and put in fridge for a couple of hours.

Sauce: 2 large onions finely chopped, 4 cloves of garlic crushed, 1 tbsp mild curry powder, 1 tbsp tumeric, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tsp, ground coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 4 cardamon pods crushed, 2 drops almond essence,1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated, 1 tin coconut milk, 80 ml plain yoghurt, 100ml chicken stock a little oil.

Once chicken is made up in the fridge, measure out your spices and sit in a bowl, in the stock pot add a little oil to cook your onion and garlic for 3 minutesadd in your grated ginger for 1 minute, add in almond essence coconut milk and yoghurt and stock, mix through and add all spices and sugar bring to boil then simmer till reduced for approx 15 minutes, add in your chicken pieces and keep on simmer stirring as you go for approx 15- 20 minutes, make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving. Serve with basmati or pilau rice, naan bread to mop up any  sauce left over.
  • Nigelrl
    Nigelrl Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    New here and will add a recepie or two. Suggestion tho loads of excellent recipies but having to scroll through them all is too much. Is there a way to put them into classes. 
    Hope I haven't offended anyone but my condition and meds don't allow too much concentration in one go.

Will go and sit in the naughty corner now 
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness