Difference between learning disability and learning difficulty? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difference between learning disability and learning difficulty?

Options
bevans
bevans Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello!
I am a postgraduate student and am hoping to do some research working with adults with learning disabilities/ difficulties.

HOWEVER I am new to the community and I am still ignorant of the correct terminology so was wondering if someone would be able to distinguish the difference between learning disability and learning difficulty. Everywhere I've looked seems to say something different and I want to use empowering language in my research and make sure not to reinforce ableist terminology or points of view!

Hope this makes sense,

B x

Comments

• greatsay
    greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    Learning difficulties are used in educational settings. Learning disabilities is an actual diagnosis when the person has an IQ under 70. Community learning disability teams now use intellectual disability instead of learning disabilities.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    At Scope we usually say "learning difficulty" because we follow the social model of disability - where disabilities are the barriers in society - rather than the medical condition, so "learning disability" doesn't make sense. 

However "learning disability" is much more commonly used. Mencap, for example, describes themselves as "the voice of learning disability".

Brightness