Hair drying/showering/painful hands — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hair drying/showering/painful hands

sunflower
sunflower Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
Hi I have a few conditions which mean that sometimes I can't use the hairdryer. I can use it with one arm but not the other. Some people have used bits of guttering and suction pads to pit something together. But it's just me at home and I don't think I have the ability to do this at the mo. Also showering is proving a bit tricky, trying to do anything with my right arm above shoulder height. Finally, my hands hurt terribly from osteo arthritis and hypermobility and I'm finding opening, twisting etc becoming harder. Any gadgets, tips, ideas gratefully received.

Comments

• littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi I have similaread problems as you .I've turned too dry shampoo .it works better than I thought .I have a shower seat two lower rails .and recently had one actually higher up which has helped 
  • sunflower
    It's so frustrating isn't it I haven't got a partner to help out and I'm an independent women who has recently had her life changed dramatically. 
  • littleruthie123
    Ah yes sunflower I find it very frustrating it's hard isent it too deal with .my hairs quite long and thick too but I lost it all too cancer 2 years ago .so I won't have it cut!lol .yeah I'm on my own too  .if our get any brainstorms please share ☺
  • sunflower
    My hair was very thick and I used to be shoulder length. However over the last year I have simply been losing it in handfuls. Luckily I still have lots of it left, but I've grown it so it's easier to manage. It's naturally wavy so I can leave it dry naturally but I do like to blow dry it straight. It sounds really petty, but it is another way I have lost a bit of me. Living in chronic pain has given my face a haunted hollow look, dark circles, sunken cheeks. I don't recognise my own reflection.
  • sunflower
    Sorry you lost your hair, but so pleased it's grown back so thick and is so long! 
  • littleruthie123
    Ah yes I so not what you mean. Bad enough suffering with the pain .but not looking nice as we would like too does get too you .in have going out stuff that never gets worn .spend most days in pj's with a bobble in .not great for self esteem is it .and thank you ivery been lucky it growing back so well shame it's always in a bobble lplease 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @sunflower

Without being able to see exactly how your range of movement is being restricted by your condition(s) I don't know what aids may be appropriate for you. However,  often people who are limited to the use of one hand are able to be more independent with hair-care if they have a hands free hair dryer holder and a long handled comb, see below for examples: 

hands free hair dryer holder: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/dressing-and-comfort-aids/grooming-aids/hands-free-hairdryer-holder

long handled comb: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/personal-care/personal-grooming/long-handled-comb-view-large?admoo=~a:14384~b:xxx~c:xxx~d:xxx~e:xxx~f:xxx~g:1081869818~h:53949002056~i:xxx~j:xxx~k:xxx~l:g~m:c~q:1o1~s:~t:9046146~v:online~w:pla~y:14834985331793309182&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlsOW_c7B2wIVCrTtCh3QNQJhEAQYASABEgJLWPD_BwE

Perhaps if you could be assessed by an Occupational Therapist (OT) they could make suggestions that might assist you with being more independent with self-care and activities of daily living.

If the OT recommends equipment that they are unable to supply and which you can't afford to buy yourself you could try seeking charitable funding https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants

Your original post mentioned a DIY solution to the hair-dryer issue. There is a charity REMAP who will invent/build solutions to enable disabled people to do tasks they want or need to do, if there isn't a commercial product available: http://www.remap.org.uk/

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• sunflower
    Jean thank you so much. That is really helpful. Compared to many, my difficulties are small. I have chronic migraine, but it's severe. I also have shoulder and hand issues and hypermobility, possibly ehlers danlos. There is a thought my migraines are a symptom of another condition. So the hairdryer stand looks perfect as I haven't got the strength in my arm to lift the dryer. I've applied for pip. I'm on half pay, I'm a single mum, how do I go about seeing an OT? I am seeing a physio again next week for my arm/shoulder/hands but my condition seems to be gaining pace. I seem to be saying "and another thing" each time I visit.I haven't been able to get to the hairdresser since before Christmas and I can't afford to simply order one of the stands. I'm in dire financial straits. Do OTs have these kind of things or is that wishful thinking? 
  • Jean_OT

Hi @sunflower

Your GP can refer you to a community OT, state that you "need urgent advice on maintaining independence with self care tasks"...asking for something in their language can help them to tick the right boxes to work out why they need to see you and what your priority should be.

Bottom line is this just about OT department in the UK is under funded and under staffed. Yes in theory small items (normally classified as costing under £1000) can be supplied by the OT if they are assessed as essential to you being able to maintain your independence with necessary self-care tasks. In practice with current waiting lists and budgets you may struggle to get what you need. Do ask for the referral as when you get to see an OT they may be able to give you helpful advice but realistically if you feel that this is the gear that you need it would probably be quicker to try to self purchase via a charity grant. 

Best Wishes

Jean  

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• sunflower
    Thanks Jean. This kind of help is invaluable. This time last year I was a primary school teacher with migraine. Now I barely leave the house. Finding out the information, or even where to look is a struggle. Thanks again.
  • littleruthie123
    Ok recently had one.o.t team .I got two rails and a larger one .a shower board rail for bannister and a perching stool .not the most glamorous of things but grateful .was encouraged too try and buy smaller devices .but there a bit pricey .I brought myself so light cups of an NHS site they do lots of different bits and bobs. Which are tax free.defo worth a call too them .I found them very efficient 
  • littleruthie123
    Also my social worker told me .you can find bits alot cheaper on ebay☺.don't no how u cope with washing up I'm guessing you struggle too .paper plates can be helpful too.
  • Jean_OT

You are very welcome @sunflower, if you have other queries about equipment that you want to direct straight to me I can be found at:  https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

Brightness