PIP ASSESSMENT - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT

Comments

• aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi all, just thought I’d pass on a snippet that I picked up yesterday which might set some people’s minds to rest, albeit a little. A close friend of mine works nights in the mental health sector and, last Thursday, he had a bank (temp) nurse working with him. During the course of the evening they were chatting, like you do, and she told him her day job was as an assessor for the DWP. Chatting further she revealed that they have targets to meet when assessing claimants and that they have to fail people in order to achieve this. My friend asked her whether she felt bad deliberately failing people and she dismissively said “they can appeal”. My friend said she had no sympathy with those people she was assessing, I guess we’re just faceless entities to them, numbers on a bit of paper. I’m totally disgusted to hear this but it serves to confirm what I read in a report and I, for one, think the DWP need to take a look now at how these assessments are being carried out. 
    I had my assessment in April this year and of all days Friday the 13th and the assessor blatantly lied and now going though the reconsideration process with GP letters and therapist letters phoned on the 14th may sent all the evidence off on last week including the written reconsideration and its now gone back to the assessors which they claim I should hear back within 6 weeks of the 14th may it's the 3rd week tomorrow which is annoying as I know I won't be able to face a tribunal hearing face to face  due to how severe my anxiety and borderline personality disorder is as paper based ones claim to not change the decision 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Sounds pretty hellish @aaronw3440.it sure does take its toll on mental health .I often think there even worse with mental health almost that they think we might give up the fight almost .I hope your results is more positive than expected. .on this awful merry go round 
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Hi @aaronw3440 and @littleruthie123 I couldn’t agree more about the mental health thing. People just don’t get it, it’s a hidden disability that isn’t understood properly hence we have to go through this nightmare. Hope you both get your claims sorted out, I’m just waiting on my tribunal date, on a positive note, I phoned motability this morning as my car is due back today and asked for an extension (I bought a secondhand car at the weekend but don’t get it until Thursday) and they’ve agreed to allow me an extra week. I’m absolutely made up, thank goodness I won’t be trapped in the house now. Sending you both love x
  • Tigermoth42
    Just to add @aaronw3440, my pip was upped at MR to enhanced living and standard mobility so, hopefully, you won’t need to go to tribunal. 
  • littleruthie123
    Bless you must be hard too see it go .I pray for better support for mental health .I feel so pascion ate about it and the principal .if there could physically see me talking health I'm sure it would be better .if thought things had changed on the mental health side were the law was .but there obviously not following the apparent new rules .there getting away with murder.so we should all appeal .as I'm sure at some point .the law will force them too do the right thing xxxx mini rant over lol x
  • littleruthie123
    Excuse writing ??
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I phoned motability this morning as my car is due back today and asked for an extension (I bought a secondhand car at the weekend but don’t get it until Thursday) and they’ve agreed to allow me an extra week.
    Given how PIP is panning out, those that have to rely on their own transport are really best advised to buy their own car instead of getting one from Motability.
    Then it doesn't matter if you fail any review in the future - they can't take the car away.

• Tigermoth42
    Hi @Yadnad, I’m inclined to agree with you, I only said the same thing the other day, had I known how things were going to pan out I’d have sourced my own car five years ago. It does appear, however, that motability will give you a letter stating how many years no claims you have rather than just the three I was told they’d give. Unfortunately there’s no option to protect your no claims, a thing I’d done for 15 years before motability. I’ve sourced insurance through Churchill who will accept their letter. 
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @littleruthie, couldn’t agree more my lovely. It’s desperately sad how many people who have crippling mental health issues are being cast aside when it comes to pip. It’s the hidden disability, just because you put on a bit of lipstick, nice clothes and get your hair done, you’re ok. I refuse to walk around like a bag lady just to satisfy the apparent criteria for mental health. Xx
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    Hi @littleruthie, couldn’t agree more my lovely. It’s desperately sad how many people who have crippling mental health issues are being cast aside when it comes to pip. It’s the hidden disability, just because you put on a bit of lipstick, nice clothes and get your hair done, you’re ok. I refuse to walk around like a bag lady just to satisfy the apparent criteria for mental health. Xx
    Totally agree with you @Tigermoth42 my assessor said in his report no cognitive impairment all through his report, plus that I looked OK because I have my eyebrows and lips tattooed years ago, so it looks like I have got make up on. My mental health stems back to when I was 4. At appeal they agreed with everything the assessor lied about ( in process of complaining with CAB), I have ‘some’ mental health they said. Not the first time this has happened, everything was stopped in 2012, I was in bed the day the Atos assessor had come to my house, had been four days prior, lost everything that time. Makes me so annoyed they are allowed to judge to fill their pockets!
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @Shlbly, it’s no wonder there are so many angry people out there when you read stories like yours. Thank goodness you got it reinstated at appeal, although you shouldn’t have had to take it that far. It seems to be endemic across the board, these not fit for purpose assessments, how the ‘health care professionals’ can get away with what can only be described as barefaced lies is beyond me. People have actually had someone with them but the report states they came alone and I heard one story where the young person was asked when they caught Downs Syndrome, it’s disgusting. Do keep me posted re your complaint via CAB, I wish there was some way of collating these stories and presenting them, en masse, to the powers that be that sit in their ivory towers and aren’t in touch with the real world out here. Hope you have a peaceful day x
  • Shlbly
    Hi @Shlbly, it’s no wonder there are so many angry people out there when you read stories like yours. Thank goodness you got it reinstated at appeal, although you shouldn’t have had to take it that far. It seems to be endemic across the board, these not fit for purpose assessments, how the ‘health care professionals’ can get away with what can only be described as barefaced lies is beyond me. People have actually had someone with them but the report states they came alone and I heard one story where the young person was asked when they caught Downs Syndrome, it’s disgusting. Do keep me posted re your complaint via CAB, I wish there was some way of collating these stories and presenting them, en masse, to the powers that be that sit in their ivory towers and aren’t in touch with the real world out here. Hope you have a peaceful day x
    Hi @Tigermoth42 You read that wrong I lost my appeal. back in March after 16 months of it all, still on standard PIP. Had indefinite higher rate DLA since 2007, crafty how they use that word hey? 
    He is not getting away with it now, he has made my health worse since February 2017 with his lies and omissions, watch this space.
    Apparently I can do everything with my disabled grabber, that grips and stays gripped, I have to use to hands to do this, I can cook, wash and use the toilet with this grabber, like to see them try to do this, impossible.
    We did write to parliament when they did the petition, but it’s taking such a long time for it to change. When we have my new F2F we shall be recording this time. Have also got MP on board for this claim.
  • littleruthie123
    Wow I need one of those grabbers please .they sound amazing!?.my m.p office got me a home visit they can be helpful. Dreading my home visit. There doing what they want in these reports awful. Goid luck with ur appeal x
  • littleruthie123
    P.s the grabbers should go on dragons den!!.????
  • Shlbly
    Wow I need one of those grabbers please .they sound amazing!?.my m.p office got me a home visit they can be helpful. Dreading my home visit. There doing what they want in these reports awful. Goid luck with ur appeal x
    ???
  • Shlbly
    P.s the grabbers should go on dragons den!!.????
    They would make a fortune ????
  • Shlbly
    edited June 2018

Letter from my MP for my new claim.
  • littleruthie123
    Ridiculous we have too go too these all too be treated fairly@.don't give up 
  • Shlbly
    Ridiculous we have too go too these all too be treated fairly@.don't give up 
    Discusting I would say!
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly said:
    ???
    Appeal was March 23rd it was them that said all this about grabber.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.