Do I complete the form for a new vehicle or wait until the PIP result is in? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I complete the form for a new vehicle or wait until the PIP result is in?

Pedro1953
Pedro1953 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: Pip face to face report.

Comments

• Pedro1953
    Pedro1953 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, My first post. I received a letter from DWP advising me that DLA is coming to an end and I have to reply by a certain date if I want PIP. My DLA was indefinite but that doesn't seem to matter. I phoned PIP line and then received my questionnaire which I filled in eventually and returned it yesterday. But yesterday I also received a letter from Motability saying it was time to order a new model as my present loan was coming to an end. Now I am worried. Do I complete the form for a new vehicle or wait until the PIP result is in? I am scared stiff that they will turn me down for enhanced PIP and I will have nothing. Any advice for me?
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I would wait if it was me, you can still keep the the car until your award has been done.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Pedro1953, as you are moving from DLA to PIP and there is a possibility that you may not get enhanced mobility. I would contact Mobility and seek their advice about keeping your car till you hav bad your F2F acessment and PIP award letter then you will know how you stand regarding a mobility car . The down side is you may not get the enhanced mobility rate missing it by a few points and decide to appeal the desision and then start the appeal process which takes months to get an hearing and you may wish to go further to tribunal. Good luck and keep posting and updating us on your PIP award.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Personally I would speak to motability and see what they advise to do, but seeing as your still in receipt of DLA, I don’t see there being a issue in regards to getting a new car. Best of luck with PIP application/process. I am going through the switch and just posted my form off today, and now the wait begins along with brown envelope phobia reaching a all time high! :( cx
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Pedro1953,

I agree with Mike. As things stand you are entitled to lease a motability vehicle. Your DLA continues until the PIP decision so there is no reason not to renew - keeping your current vehicle really makes no difference to the possible complications if PIP enhanced mobility is not awarded. It has the same effect either way!

Details of the package Motability offer where someone isn't successful when they initially move from DLA to PIP are here. The aim is to give you some financial support but you can also keep the car for 8 weeks which should give you time for the first stage (the mandatory reconsideration) of challenging a PIP decision. 

I don't see any reason not to get a new vehicle really, as if PIP doesn't work out for you initially then whichever vehicle you have will be affected, whether it's your current one or the new one. You won't get into any financial difficulty - as Mike's quote from the Motability site makes clear, you would get refunded for any advance payment you had made.

But I also think it's important to take one thing at a time. You're already returned your PIP questionnaire, so now it's a question of waiting for the assessment. Meanwhile, it's really up to you whether you get the new vehicle - but getting it won't put you at any increased risk. As others have said, you could also speak to Motability to see what they think & if you prefered to make the new car decision at a later date, how that would work. However, if I've understood things correctly, your current loan is ending - and there doesn't seem any point in being without a vehicle now, when you are clearly entitled to the Motability lease scheme.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Have you had advice from a welfare rights adviser, in completing your PIP form?

If not, then I would strongly suggest, from here on you get support.

As advised above there is no reason why you should not order a new car.

You do not know the lead time for its actual delivery, till you have placed the order.

If you do not order, It might suggest that you are not confident to be awarded enhance mobility.

I would get a copy of your claim form and the assessment report, once it has been completed.  This will assist your WRA.

Keep us informed.

Best wishes
  • lifeonwheels
    lifeonwheels Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Ditto advice above!
    I would definitely speak to Motability who are extremely polite and now knowledgeable re DLA to PIP. I say 'now knowledgeable' because I was waiting for a complicated adaptation on my new vehicle
    at the very early days of PIP. It wasn't appreciated by me or Motability that my membership could be affected by the change in benefit and therefore my car too. To cut a long story short - you are entitled to leasing a car at the moment on the Motability scheme so go ahead and apply for one. You'll be on record for contacting Motability regarding PIP........
    Good luck with it all - please don't worry, save precious energy.....x

• atlas46
    Hi @Username_removed

I was making the simple point of getting WRA, in dealing with the actual PIP claim.

Which non of the two quotes you refer to, failed to mention.

I rely on my experience of going through the PIP process, I needed advice and got it.

Best wishes
  • atlas46
    Hi

Think I've got my wires crossed.

I was looking at the PIP claim, in that if he is not awarded enhanced motabilty, his car is at risk.  He should seek help in dealing MR, so he puts the best MR together, with a WRA helping.

I am thinking too much!

Best wishes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.