inheritance query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

inheritance query

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
[post removed by moderator at request of the user]

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hi,
    You should get professional advice directly.

If you bought a house then they would still treat it as if you had the money. It would just be in a physical asset.
  • starbuck
    Thanks for the reply. If I had the money left directly to me I would cease to claim the means tested benefits. I realise then that we wouldn't be able to claim them again at any point in the future which is why my mother is so concerned about me having the money and stopping the benefits. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ Starbuck,Go and get some financial advice on what is the best way to proceed, your parents need to have professional financial advice to ensure that their wishes are carried out the most tax efficient way. I could give an opinion but it is better to get private indepentant financial advice which will cost you or your parents money but it will be well spent for their peace of mind.
  • starbuck
    Will do, thanks :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.