mental health nurse — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mental health nurse

Pansy_potter1
Pansy_potter1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all,
Sorry I have not been on in a while, I have been really low and then went on holiday for a week.  Now Im home and need a shoulder........
A few that have read my previous posts know I have Bipolar, personality disorder and psychosis.

A lot of this results in from my childhood, my lovely Dad died when I was 11 after being in hospital for 4 months.  My Mam remarried and the bas---d she married hit me and my Mam and sexually mentally abused me.  It screwed me up big time and hence welcome mental health problems.  

I have been waiting years to see someone ie a psychologist and finally I am seeing a therapist, nurse/ clinician.

I am asking for opinions as I am wondering if its doing anything????  she is lovely but, its a problem that I cant stop thinking about.

I know from experience that in certain jobs, you do not discuss sex, religion or politics.  But on my last session she kept going on about God, I said I had lost my faith when I nearly died at the age of 10, and then my Dad died at 46 and my Mam was a widow at 46, what had we all done that was so bad ? she gave me her reasons why it happened, then I said and why does he allow babies to have cancer, or anyone for that matter ? she said they were born with it and its the pollution that is doing it.  I nearly combusted !! what a load of tosh !!

I have had  good think and I really feel that this way of thinking is not going to help me, I feel that     her religious views are not what I need.  Am I stupid to be thinking like this ?  I am due to see her tomorrow and I have to tell her how  I feel. 

Sorry for a long whinge ! 

Comments

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Hi, Not everyone has the same views on religion, however that being put upon you when it is not your beliefs does seem inappropriate, my friends daughter is in her 3 year at uni doing mental health nursing and I phoned her this morning and she said, unless the patient brings it up it is not their place to do so, she said it might be worth asking to get someone different who does not impose their beliefs on you, or clearly state that religion has not to be mentioned. She also suggested updating your file to state not religious and that should help when people read your file in how to proceed with yourself.

Consider writing it down so when you go in you can state what you want without it becoming an emotional or conflicted meeting, hopefully with a good outcome for yourself. good luck.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Pansy_potter1
    Pansy_potter1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you so much for that helpful reply.   I went yesterday and I decided that if she had brought up religion I would tell her I did not like the way that she was  upsetting me by bringing God into the conversation.  But, she was great and did not mention anything.  However, I still feel I would like to point out in one session that I am grateful for not having religion brought into my session.  But,   my session went well.  Also please thank your friend for giving you sound advice for me.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Pansy_potter1, I’d absolutely mention how the discussion about religion upset you and ask her politely not to mention it again. If you feel you can’t actually say it, write her a short letter explaining how it made you feel.

I find it difficult to express myself at times so writing it down helps

Brightness