Mannequins and models - how can fashion become more inclusive? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mannequins and models - how can fashion become more inclusive?

2»

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Bras can be a nightmare when my fingers dont work and no I cant wear vest tops thanks. I wish someone would design a better fastening.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I think it has to be accepted that mannequins are never going to be helpful any more. If people were as thin and tall as most of them then half the population would be qualified to be a model. The average person now is nothing like the size or shape of the display models used in shops but they are unlikely to move towards the real average shape because it would appear unattractive to almost everyone.

Unless most of the population moves away from the obsessions of eating and drinking to excess things will just get worse as what looks good on a "skinny" mannequin will never look anything like as attractive when worn by the average person.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • SakaraDee
    SakaraDee Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    This is so true!
    I'm always frustrated at the lack of clothing (Especially skirts!) designed with living in mind rather than just careful posing (I'm looking at you, Topshop mini skirts). Someone said that people who are not wheelchair users don't care what clothes look like sitting down (sorry I can't remember which person) and many have said we are a minority so it's not cost effective but really? Everyone sits down and it's not always under a desk. Arm chairs, sofas, seats for when you're shoe shopping... Yes models should definitely be photographed sitting down! And not in artistic poses which mimic absolutely nothing from real life I might add :") 

Also sale sections in shops can be a nightmare. I have a really small mobility scooter (about the same width as my wheelchair) and I couldn't fit it between the rails in H&M, I thought "what do I expect it's just the old sale bit why should they make an effort?" Which is so sad because of COURSE they should "make an effort". We aren't 50% of the population but we're a decent minority! The biggest I think.

I have seen one mannequin sitting down in River Island (it actually freaked me out as I thought it was a real person!) It was sitting on the edge of a low down display and didn't take up too much space while really enhancing the look of the place so I don't see why they couldn't make that regular practice. It's not a lot to ask and if we write ourselves off as a minority with no right to ask for these things then that's really sad and nothing will ever change!

Great post ♡
  • DavidGS1950
    DavidGS1950 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Sadly that seems to be another example of saying “we can’t be bothered as you’re not important or vociferous enough for us to cater for you!”
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    As regards being a minority....

I have never had any issue with any person asking for more appropriate displays or whatever even those in minority groups. I do have an issue with those who demand preferential treatment especially if they are in a minority group or those who start going on about trying to get money or special treatment by using the court or other such systems to gain some sort of advantage. I was brought up to be polite and respect others point of view and though I struggle with doing so at times with the pain and frustration in my life, I still think that politely asking for help or assistance is still far preferable to insisting on setting same. No one anywhere has a right to special treatment and I do not care if it even says that it is in law, there are some very stupid laws in this country.

On the point of daft laws.... do you know that to propel any wheeled "vehicle" the wrong way down a one way street is against the law and could be prosecuted? For vehicle read pram, push-chair, wheelchair, scooter (child or adult version) and the law makes no distinction between road and pavement because it was enacted when there were no pavements, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness