Computer mice following finger amputation — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Computer mice following finger amputation

gackroyd
gackroyd Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi

My husband has just lost the top of his right index finger (above the top joint).  He's right handed and an office worker and a lot of his day would ordinarily be using a keyboard so finding the change in his circumstance and productivity whilst he becomes accustomed/heals a challenge.  Does anyone have any good advice on who we could go to - shop or advisor - to try out different different computer mice to see which one would help.  His work have tried to help but the model they ordered didn't really suit the injury and I'm a little unsure whether anything I've seen on amazon is going to help. 

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I am sure someone will come up with a better idea, but here are a couple.

1. Graphic pen and pad. I found this works amazingly well in place of a mouse. If you can afford one with programmable hot spots this can make some common tasks a lot easier and quicker. Touching the pen on the pad initiates left click. Probably not suitable if he works on more than one screen.

2. https://www.backcs.co.uk/slimblade-trackball-mouse/ more expensive and really  not sure how tracker balls compare with mice these days. The large buttons allow for easier clicking without using the index finger. Probably better to avoid tracker balls on traditional mouse casing as he would have the same problem.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @gackroyd

Excellent advice from @Geoark here are a couple of other thoughts:
    Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• gackroyd
    gackroyd Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for the advice.  I'll take a look.  The quick response is really very much appreciated.  Thank you!!
  • Lucas_Student
    Lucas_Student Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi there, I'm a Design and Technology student at school and I am wary that this was made in 2018, but I am just wondering if your husband could answer a few of my questions if possible.
    1. What problems do you face, using a mouse whilst missing part of your index finger?
    2. What were the issues of using a regular computer mouse?
    3. What products/variations did you start using instead, once you lost the tip of your finger?
    4. Do you still use a regular mouse or are you using a variant of a mouse?
    5. What products do you use now as a result of missing the tip of your finger?
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 475 Pioneering
    edited November 2023

Brightness