Could I apply for a grant or loan to help get an assistance dog? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could I apply for a grant or loan to help get an assistance dog?

Souffle
Souffle Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi everyone, hope you are all well.  I'm looking for advice really.  My 15 year old daughter is autistic, has severe anxiety, depression and can have psychotic like symptoms.  I hope to get her an assistance dog to try and help ground her and give her some independence.  There is obviously cost involved and being a full time carer doesn't leave much in the money pot.  I wondered if I could apply for a grant or some kind of loan of sorts that I could put towards to cost as it is, in effect, a tool that will help with her independence and therapy ultimately (I use the word tool loosely, clearly I'm not calling an assistance dog a tool but you know what I mean!).  Any ideas/info would be useful.  Many thanks

Comments

• sue1965
    sue1965 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    My mom cares for my brother and last year the carers association did a home visit in which they asked if they could do anything to help my mom deal with their situation. In the end my mom asked if they could help pay for a wheelchair as she has significant mobility issues herself. It took a few weeks but they very kindly paid all the cost of wheelchair. May be worth  a try. Or they may point you in the right direction. God bless
  • Souffle
    Thanks sue1965 for your message - I will definitely contact them and see if they feel there is anything they might be able to do (or someone who might be able to help perhaps).  Hope your brother is doing well. x
  • sue1965
    sue1965 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    just a thought, if you r in receipt of benefits you should be able to get a social fund loan, no interest they just take a few pounds off a week
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi souffle

Try dogs forgood.org tel01295 252600, based in Banbury, Oxon.

They train assistance dogs for autistic children?

Not sure how funding is dealt with, you can only ask, they can only bark at you.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Souffle
    Thanks atlas46 - unfortunately they don't cater for teenagers - good call though.

Thanks 1965 - i'll have a look into that!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.