Finding it hard to drive — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding it hard to drive

lizcarballo
lizcarballo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in Transport and travel
I have widespread osteoarthritis,I’m 55 I’ve had both hips and left knee replaced. Ankle, hands, elbow and neck ops . 11 ops in 14 yrs. I’m finding it really hard to drive, can’t afford an automatic. What can I do about it.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lizcarballo   Pleased to meet you Welcome.

Sorry what has happened .  I myself have disability of the hands and fingers so need the only solution was an automatic.

There are different levels of automatic gear stick. I have a one which is knob shaped and just gently pull back.   Another one was a T bar shaped gear stick with a button on the side gently pull back again . I do know that costs of all automatics vary.

Also might be worth looking on line and seeing the costs

Seeking the advice of a garage or dealer..

Add to that you can have adaptions to the gear box but they are expensive.

Only other thing is to apply for PIP and if you get the enhanced rate then you will be entitled to  a car on the Motability scheme.

That is up to age of 64.

If you get it.  Sorry to tell you. I am in the stage of PIP myself .  Applying for and have assessment soon.

Understand could be in limbo. Also good strong possibility will lose the car. Also like yourself would find it difficult to find a replacement.

Hope that is useful and helpful.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • GalDriver
    GalDriver Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Can/do you get PIP? Can you go the Motability route? That's how I got my first automatic. I hope you get some help.

Brightness