shocking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

shocking

cathie
cathie Community member Posts: 143 Courageous
its only through a pal of mine i learned about servere disability payment i was severely disabled for years never received this as I didn't ask for it only way you get it was never told about it no one is have to know in order to make claim extra 72 quid a week again been robbed by those in the portion to help you .I think it's disgusting so all those that don't know now you do . call and ask e.s.a about it ..may be robbing you too this goverment need quick kick up Backside  for wrongs they do ....
Only me .. cathie..

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    No sorry it's not the government that is at fault it's you, me us for not being proactive in enquiring about what benefits we may or are entitled to claim. Since the advent of the Internet it has been easier to find out about anything regards to benefits available. On a lot of new reports it had been stated millions of pounds in benefits have not been claimed. The CAB has had this information also local libraries and I exspect local council offices. We just have to get up get out and claim it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    SDP is not automatically paid because of the criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    No sorry it's not the government that is at fault it's you, me us for not being proactive in enquiring about what benefits we may or are entitled to claim. Since the advent of the Internet it has been easier to find out about anything regards to benefits available. On a lot of new reports it had been stated millions of pounds in benefits have not been claimed. The CAB has had this information also local libraries and I exspect local council offices. We just have to get up get out and claim it.
    That's a bit harsh
    Not everybody is computer savvy or even owns one.

As for being proactive, you can only ask if you are entitled to something if you actually know that the something exists. Given the climate welfare claimants face in asking if there is anymore money they can get from anywhere it's not surprising that they are very reluctant to ask with the danger of feeling a scrounger.

Should the over 65's be more proactive? Should they go knocking on doors asking for more money?

A quote from AgeUK -  Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, says: "Despite millions of older people struggling financially, around £3.5 billion in money benefits remains unclaimed every year when this extra income could make a huge difference to their lives.”

For this category of people the DWP actually know the majority who should be claiming the above and are failing to contact them to get a claim in.
  • cathie
    Not sure if that was taken wrong but I see not everyone was amused but u are right in a way but not sure like my self everyone is able to deal with benefit s staff or in frame of mind or have ability to cope with it all for what ever reason should have staff in place that  deal with people s inability   to cope as many can but staff not only are over worked time sensitive but a lot have no training in people skill s just talk down to those that can't keep up for what ever reason ...is Daniel Blake and five thousand other s nothing in place except tired aggressive member:s of over worked staff   told to meet  deadline s or else sad but true...I see your point  but believe there are many...
    Only me .. cathie..
  • cathie
    One other point I personality have not been able to leave my house for over a year so getting out and grabbing it or finding out if its for you is a major problem I know I'm not alone in this issue: ok next best thing phone call 45 page full of question s not all capable of doing back to square one   hope you see my point to no help round and round in circle: s knacker mentally now as well as physically .merry go round...
    Only me .. cathie..
  • poppy123456
    SDP is £64.30 per week and not £72. The form you need to fill out for this is called the IS10 and it's not 45 pages long. It's 2-3 pages at the most and probably one of the easiest forms i've ever filled in.

As you're talking about a form that's about 45 pages long then i'm guessing you were one of those that transferred from IB to ESA. The form you need to fill out for this is long and will allow DWP to assess you for the income related top up.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cathie
    We appear to be on different pages here so let's leave that alone now.
    Only me .. cathie..
  • poppy123456
    Having filled out the SDP form myself it's called the IS10 and is a very simple form, it's certainly not 45 pages long.
     Information here about SDP.

• Yadnad
    As you're talking about a form that's about 45 pages long then i'm guessing you were one of those that transferred from IB to ESA. The form you need to fill out for this is long and will allow DWP to assess you for the income related top up.
    Not entirely that simple. First of all you have to read the notes attached to the ESA1 very carefully. The form is intentionally split into two parts. The claimant having read and understood which part they should complete completes the form.
    I have heard it many times that the notes are far too detailed and unclear.
    Get to page 25 and it looks like the end of the claim form. Many unintentionally don't go to complete pages 26 onwards as it appears to only deal with immigrants etc.
    It could be years later that they find out that pages 26 et seq should have been completed also if the income based part of ESA was appropriate.

I have read the notes of this form many times and they still confuse me. 
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea what you're talking about here. I was talking about a very simple IS10 form.
  • Yadnad
    I have no idea what you're talking about here. I was talking about a very simple IS10 form.
    I was referring to the ESA1 form that both the OP and yourself mentioned. You stated that the ESA1 form will allow the DWP to assess for Income Based top up.

My comments suggested that this isn't always the case as the form is so long winded with notes for completion almost impossible to understand that many claimants fail to go any further than page 25. Pages 26 et seq are for claiming the Income based top up.

Hence if the ESA1 was made easier to complete and not have it in two parts then there would never really be a need for the IS10 to be completed. As claimants are finding out,  failure to complete both parts of the ESA1 and then having to complete the IS10 at a later date will/could result in the loss of a benefit for the intervening period. 

You are seemingly under the impression that all claimants fill out the ESA1 from pages 1 through to 55. They don't generally for the reason I gave in my earlier post.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.