I wasn't believed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I wasn't believed

sodhappy
sodhappy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
im off work with back pain and depression and anxiety I went to have my interview with the DWP and the report I had back was I have low anxiety and depression and I refused to touch my toes and lie down but I didn't as I said it was painfull even to put my shoes on as my back is very painfull .what can I do 

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Back pain is always a difficult area to prove and not just because it's invisible. There are many ways for it to occur and consequently numerous ways of treating it plus the fact that most people experience back pain in some form and tend to apply their own experience instead of looking carefully into your actual problems. The assumption, I guess, is that if they could cope so could anyone. They do not realise just how much pain it can cause.

I'm afraid I cannot advise on how to move forward as I am only just at the point of waiting to see if I need to see an assessor.

One thing that does bug me, which I assume it will happen if I see an assessor, and that is the number of people I meet for the first time and assume spinal damage causes back pain and then go on to tell me how they suffer it too so can understand. I haven't suffered back pain for the first 12 years of dealing with my condition and even now, during year 13, it is very minor and infrequent. However, describing what actually happens is a long-winded explanation and most people "switch off" when I try to explain.

I hope things go better for you.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @sodhappy!

So sorry to hear about your experience. As the others have said, please do keep us updated and let us know the decision, and we'll advise where we can.
  • sodhappy
    It's to late to appeal now as it was in March but I wasn't sent a letter unti now 
  • crocodillie
    crocodillie Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Complain to the people who did your assessment. Atos and capita have a complaints procedure. The more of us that complain about the lies, the more they will see things need to change .
  • sodhappy
    Thank you everyone I will ring them up tomorrow and ask them to look at it again as not happy x
  • sodhappy
    I don't know where to start x
  • sodhappy
    No I haven't x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sodhappy

I understand that appealing a decision can be daunting when you don't know where to start. @Username_removed has posted a great link which should make things a little clearer. Scope also have advice on this which can be found at:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/appeals
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.