I've just been diagnosed with PTSD, advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just been diagnosed with PTSD, advice?

Bigjay4382
Bigjay4382 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello.
I am a mid 30's aged gentleman, who has, within the last 9 months been diagnosed firstly with PTSD, and then with autism (asd).
Now I have no experience regarding mental health and their subsequent difficulties, and I'm basically asking for help/assistance.
I have got a Derbyshire gold card, which helps sometimes with transport, and I have applied for pip, and am currently awaiting their decision.

I would be very grateful for any help/assistance.
Thank you.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bigjay4382 and a big welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share your story and I hope you will find it a useful and helpful place. Please feel free to have a look around and get in touch if you need anything. I hope other members of the community are able to provide you with some advice :)
    Scope

• Bigjay4382
    Hi Chloe_scope.
    Thank you for your response, and your welcome towards me.
    Hopefully I may find/Hey some help/assistance.  :)
  • livrose86
    livrose86 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hello, 
    Do you have any resources
    where you live?... You could speak to your GP for any advice needed and see if they have any links etc for local support.

good luck!
  • Bigjay4382
    Hi. I believe there's some resources around Sheffield, as I live between there and chesterfield.
    I've been referred for counselling so far, and awaiting appointment/s, so I guess that's something.
    Oh, I've also been in touch with combat stress, as I am ex-army, and they are running an educational workshop/course each Friday beginning 13th, and lasting for 6 weeks.
    Lets see what that brings...

Thank you for your kind words, and good luck to you too.
  • livrose86
    livrose86 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Thanks! All the best.

you could also try some books on PTSD. Sometimes I find researching things help to understand it better. Good you got Therapy pending!
  • Bigjay4382
    edited July 2018
    @livrose86 Thank you very much for the advice.

Brightness