I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and Autism recently, advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and Autism recently, advice?

Bigjay4382
Bigjay4382 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello,

I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and Autism over the past 9 months, advice?

I'm a 36 year old fella with no experience regarding mental health.

Thank you.

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hello - I hope you get some good support re your PTSD [the symptoms of which could overlap with autism symptoms] - whilst a lot of people seem to just be given medication for PTSD there are other options e.g. EMDR [Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing] is increasingly being recognised as effective, and there is therapy which is specifically trauma focused which you could have a look into and chat to your GP about - or look into it privately if you have the funds.   Good luck.  Emma
  • Bigjay4382
    @EmmaB Thank you very much for the advice. I agree, after doing a little looking around, there are a number of symptoms that seem to overlap both conditions.
    I was diagnosed with PTSD last November, but now referred to a psychologist, and also undertaking an educational workshop with combat stress too, as I am ex-forces.

Many thanks again.

James 
  • EmmaB
    Sounds like you are on track James.  There's a great book called Healing Trauma by Peter Levine in which he says, 'Trauma is a fact of life but it doesn't have to be a life sentence', there's a way out and I really hope you find it!  Best wishes.  Emma
  • EmmaB
    PS as you are ex-forces - there's a lot of good information on the Help For Heroes website but I expect you already know about that one.
  • Bigjay4382
    Any and all advice and suggestions are always welcome.
    Thank so much again @EmmaB

Brightness