On carers allowance but can I stop part- time job to pursue education? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

On carers allowance but can I stop part- time job to pursue education?

irene1968
irene1968 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi could you please help 
I am 49 and im  a carer for my son who has ADHD, I work 7 and half hours  a week at lunch times in special needs school so i get income support also to bring me to the living wage allowed. 
before i started the part time job  I was doing all my maths and  english courses and I did my level 2 in childcare , but my mother need help due to a brain tumor , so I stopped my learning to look after her in her final year . 
after that I took a year out of everything to heal with what we went through. 
then i started to work part time while my son was at school to give me a meaning again .
ive been there 3 years  but now I am wanting to go back to learning to obtain my leave 3 qualification .
this is the bit where i need advice   can I give up the job to study ? will income support allow this ,as I know I didnt  have to work I choose to  but  now can i give up this job ? as i know i cant do it all as im only allowed so many hours due to the caring  for my son .  and will need to be in a placement .which i may beable to do at the school i work for already .  
will income support allow me to do this ? or will they stop my benefits and housing . 

I need to carry on to get to my goal as ive spent so many years getting there and feel the time is right for me again . 

please advice 
regards irene1968

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.