Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

On carers allowance but can I stop part- time job to pursue education?

irene1968irene1968 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2018 in Carer's allowance
Hi could you please help 
I am 49 and im  a carer for my son who has ADHD, I work 7 and half hours  a week at lunch times in special needs school so i get income support also to bring me to the living wage allowed. 
before i started the part time job  I was doing all my maths and  english courses and I did my level 2 in childcare , but my mother need help due to a brain tumor , so I stopped my learning to look after her in her final year . 
after that I took a year out of everything to heal with what we went through. 
then i started to work part time while my son was at school to give me a meaning again .
ive been there 3 years  but now I am wanting to go back to learning to obtain my leave 3 qualification .
this is the bit where i need advice   can I give up the job to study ? will income support allow this ,as I know I didnt  have to work I choose to  but  now can i give up this job ? as i know i cant do it all as im only allowed so many hours due to the caring  for my son .  and will need to be in a placement .which i may beable to do at the school i work for already .  
will income support allow me to do this ? or will they stop my benefits and housing . 

I need to carry on to get to my goal as ive spent so many years getting there and feel the time is right for me again . 

please advice 
regards irene1968

Replies

Sign in or join us to comment.