PIP and Pension Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Pension Credit

aidan
aidan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited November 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been assessed and accepted for PIP from 17.12.2016 having been on DLA until this date . However, my Pension Credit payments have ceased since I was first notified about PIP in late Aug16. Is this correct tat I lose my P. Credits? Thank you in anticipation.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    This doesn't sound right at all.  Have you asked the DWP about this?  Suggest that you also phone Age UK's helpline as they are very knowledgeable about pension credit.

On the face of it, you should have kept all your benefits associated with DLA at least until the DLA stops.  I've just been moved from DLA to PIP and have been informed by DWP that I keep my pension credit.

Could there be another reason why your pension credit was stopped not associated with DLA/PIP?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Aidan - I've answered your post in 'ask a benefits advisor', but the only thing I can think of that might affect your Pension Credit would be if you were previously getting DLA care component middle or higher rate, and in PIP you only get the mobility component. You haven't mentioned that in any of your posts though so I'm guessing that isn't it!

Do post back in 'ask a benefits advisor' & tell us what rates and which components of DLA & PIP are involved. One of my team will probably be able to help!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi Aiden, i was on DLA  then went on PIP in November,i still get pention credit.so you need to sort that out, hope this is helpful.
  • Matilda
    Hi aidan

You have said that your pension credit stopped after you were first notified in late Aug that you now had to apply for PIP.  Did you at that time notify the DWP of a change in circumstances such as having exceeded the savings limit for pension credit?  If not, maybe the DWP have mistakenly recorded you as having exceeded the savings limit.

Probably this could easily be clarified if either you or your carer phone the DWP and discuss the matter.
  • aidan
    aidan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thanks Matilda. I contacted them and they would rectify it. Keep up the great work.
  • Matilda
    Pleased to hear that it's been resolved, Aidan.
  • johnny100
    johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    Saving dont come into DLA/PIP ,its a TAX FREE BENEFIT.I assume that pension credits stop when you get to 65 like myself this year.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Aidan,
    I'm glad it is sorted out. 

Hi johnny100,

No, pension credit doesn't stop when you get to 65. You can still get pension credit when you get your retirement pension, but how much you get will depend on the level of your retirement pension and other income.

Savings don't affect DLA or PIP, but savings can affect pension credit. 

Anyway I'm very glad to hear that Aidan's problem has been sorted.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• imagen
    imagen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I just got pip and my pension credit as not gone in today 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    imagen said:
    Hi I just got pip and my pension credit as not gone in today 
    Either you were receiving DLA then moved onto a PIP award or you have just been given a PIP award for a new claim - either way anything like that automatically triggers the suspension of Pension Credits. It needs someone in the Pension Service to over ride the suspension to get the payments up and running again.

I had it with my Pension Credits which stopped and started whenever I had a decision made on the PIP claim. It stopped and started three times since 2013 - it was stopped permanently earlier this year when I lost my PIP once again.
  • imagen
    imagen Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ya I was on DLA and getting pension credit but it did not go in my bank yesterday but I am phoning them tomorrow first thing 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.