Can We Trust This Site? Please Read My Explanations Before Berating Me — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can We Trust This Site? Please Read My Explanations Before Berating Me

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
I have been a member of this site now for only a couple of months!
And I literally love it.  
Friendly and very helpful. 

I am a member of a site on dreaded, but addictive facebook for Depression and Anxiety, and this also I love.  The advice we get and give?
And I have asked and commented on the privacy of this site. 
People go on this site for personal reasons, and basically chit chat.  
They tell people about the benefits that they get (and I have done the same) but the big question is can we trust these sites?
I have no doubt, although cannot vouch for, that somebody in the background of the Scope site as well as Facebook are spying on what we say (Government wise) and people join these sites, and you do not know a dickie bird of who they are or belong to.

This question has been running around my head for years.

Would appreciate some positive input to the above question

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited July 2018
    You raise a great point? But I woulden't and don't trust anyone, if people feel they need to vent their anger or tell there story. That's upto them but in truth I don't post photos or any information of myself.

Never give any details or reveal anything about yourself. I just give advice on my experiences over the problems with this flawed system.

Facebook I personally hate it, and has always been a great source for the Government to locate benefit fraud etc. 

So the question is do you trust them, as I trust know one period.

Privacy that's long gone big brother is always whatching you. 

Edited to add: The scope helpline phone number is safe.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    You could always use an email that you do not use anywhere else to register for sites like this, that way you are in no way connected to your other emails or phone numbers, consider using a completely different username, do not give out your name, or where you are. There are only so many ways in which someone could actually say it is you, for example pictures of you and family, places around you that can be identified. Use a different name for example pick someone from the tv or a favourite childhood singers name even for private messages, that way no-one on the site would know who you are at all.

I do not feel spied on, even if I did I would use the tactics I mentioned above, to avoid being recognised if I was posting anything someone might want to report me for. I am sure we are not yet at the stage of restricted freedom of speech unless it is a hate crime, nor are thought police currently employed to assess all of our opinions therefore I think I can say I feel safe enough to post here. Hope that helps.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • fishingmum
    @mikehughescqI meant on here did not mention facebook. I personally use a browser security and have icelandic email. but I do take measures more than most.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I find it strange that people worry about such things. I do understand that we live in a world of secrets but I am not interested in that. I have no secrets or at least very few. I am open and honest which, I appreciate, are not particularly favoured traits now but I really do not care what others think of me generally and I find it rather extraordinary that some people like me for it. I suppose it may go back to living through the "Cold War", made me feel that secrets are a bad thing.

On here I have gone into details of my life that have upset or embarrassed others and told things exactly as they are. Why should I not do so? If people find it upsetting then they do not need to read my monologues. It's a free country and they are entitled to their opinion in the same way I am. What I didn't like was to be censured based on one persons actions as happened some time ago and for which reason I left this site never intending to return.

I am not perfect, not even remotely so but there are things I know that I have accumulated during a long life that I feel I can pass on and there are also things I would like to understand better. Sometimes I post badly or upset people though it isn't something I ever try to achieve, it's a by-product of being open and honest. Sometimes the truth hurts and, no matter how good my intentions, sometimes people would rather not know the truth.

Why worry about whether someone is watching or reading? Why is it important to keep secrets?

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • fishingmum
    @mikehughescqI meant on here did not mention facebook. I personally use a browser security and have icelandic email. but I do take measures more than most.
    Yes, and I fear you may have missed my point. The measures you describe offer you no security whatsoever.
    Using different usernames from ones you use on other sites do offer protection from basic recognition or mis-identification, which was proven and taken down just a moment ago.
    Using different emails ensure the companies that use the emails to link you to other forums or shopping sites can not as easily do so.
    If using a browser use private browsing so when a page is shut it deletes data, you can easily do that in settings.
    Look at the settings of anything you sign upto so to make it as safe as possible for you.
    @oldngrumpy hope that helps
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • fishingmum
    you are welcome @debbiedo49 :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi, 

I've removed the last few posts from this thread as I viewed them to be potentially defamatory - and we can not allow content like that on the site. You can read our house rules, and our full terms and conditions.

As for the original post about trusting the site - there is nothing we can do to stop people looking at the site (government or otherwise) so for that reason, we deliberately keep sign up information to a minimum - email and username - you do not need to provide any personal information. We also remove any personal information from posts - like phone numbers and addresses. We don't share member information with anyone - even other teams within Scope. You can find out more about our commitment to data protection.

I hope that helps, any questions let me know - you can also email at alex.hazell@scope.org.uk

Thanks,
    Alex

Brightness