Claim for carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claim for carers allowance

suzyk15
suzyk15 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi I'm claiming universal credit.
Put a claim in for carers allowance
Had letter today saying I coukd receive it but there wauting ti hear bk frim universal credit regarding what ill be paid.
I made the claim frim fab 12 when i started caring for my mum will it be backdated?
I've also read up about a carer element?which is paid if on universal credit 
In confused to what ill receive and how much?
Can you please help
Regards sue

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suzyk15, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm sure some of our members who have better insight into CA will be able to advise you, but in the meantime, perhaps give the online benefits calculator a try to give you an idea of what your entitlement could be?
  • suzyk15
    Been reading up on other sites on one it says carers element will not be paid automatically even though I'm on universal credit .had a letter yesterday saying I'm entitked to carers allowance and there waiting for advice from my local benefits office to see how much I will be paid this is very cinfusing please can someone help 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello suzyk15

You can get an additional £156.45 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week, which is the carers element.

You DO NOT have to claim Carer's Allowance  (CA) to get this element. This is probably why you have read that a carers element is not paid automatically. That is UC will assess individual cases to see if a person qualifies for a carers element.  I however suspect that it will be easier to prove that you are looking after 
    a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week if you do get UC.

Not only should your UC increase but your work conditionality should change  that is you are placed in the No Work Related Requirement group.

Maria 

The Benefits Training Co:

• suzyk15
    Hi Maria thanks for the reply.
    I've been getting universal credit since last year.
    I started caring for my mum on feb 12 .
    I made a claim for carers allowance which I started getting weekly last wk.£64.60
    I rang universal credit up to tell them I'd started caring from Feb 12, they said I will get carers element £156.45 paid monthly .
    My first payment due on 15 august they told me  
    Will it be so much universal credit added to carer element?
    Will he carcar element be backdated from feb12
    It's very confusing
    Regards sue
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    suzyk15 said:
    Hi Maria thanks for the reply.
    I've been getting universal credit since last year.
    I started caring for my mum on feb 12 .
    I made a claim for carers allowance which I started getting weekly last wk.£64.60
    I rang universal credit up to tell them I'd started caring from Feb 12, they said I will get carers element £156.45 paid monthly .
    My first payment due on 15 august they told me  
    Will it be so much universal credit added to carer element?
    Will he carcar element be backdated from feb12
    It's very confusing
    Regards sue
    As i already stated in a previous reply to you, yes your Carers Element will be back dated to Feb. As i explained, because you've claimed CA, this will be deducted from your UC and CA will then pay you. UC then add the Carers Element to your UC. Works out you'll be £156 per month better off. You didn't need to ring UC because you've claimed CA and CA will contact UC and the element will automatically be added to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • suzyk15
    I had to ring universal credit as my circumstances have changed they had to change my claimant commitment.i then had a letter off them asking me to sign my commitment. I've read on other sites that universal credit have to be informed of any changes .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.