Mental health issues because of their physical issues? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health issues because of their physical issues?

AStoneham
AStoneham Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Does anyone suffer from mental health issues because of there physical issues?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @AStoneham   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Yes in reply to your question. Mental illness and having a disability .  Does cause issues and problems. I am sure you will find many members in agreement with your self.

How can we as a community help.?

We can advise give you information.  Plenty of new friends.

Have a look around the forum.  May I suggest looking under Practical Support and Information.

Please when you are ready love to hear about you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AStoneham and welcome to the community. I am sure many of us who have a physical impairment will struggle to some extent with our mental health. It can be just as mentally tiring.
    Please do have a look around the community and let me know if there is anything I can do!
    Scope

• AStoneham
    Thank you for the welcome and advice, i sure will look around the forum. It will be nice to make friends too.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all @AStoneham :)
    Let me know if there is anything that I can do
    Scope

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @AStoneham

I worked on a three year research project on behalf of the Stroke Association, some years ago.

We dicovered that there is a direct link with physical disability (Stroke) and subsequent MH issues.  This related to post stroke and within one year, the onset of depression, which leads to further deteriation of their physical disabilities.

Stroke patients are now advised about this and advised to seek help from their GP.

Hope this helps.
  • AStoneham
    Thank you atlas46  thank you x

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    most definetely the NHS seperates mental health from physical health which is mistake as the mind and body cannot be seperated in this way as both are interdependant on the other. Healthy mind healthy body and visa versa.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    My MH issues have dramatically increased in number and severity as I have been given less and less support with my physical issues. I have been assessed a few times by MH and each time they say they cannot help me as there are no MH treatments that can cope with or help with issues caused by a lack of support with physical problems. I have been threatened with being sectioned and after pleading with them to please do so because then my medication and support might improve, they have scampered away and done nothing because they know they cannot help.

My depressions has become severe and my Agorophobia has become worse plus I have gained Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Paranoia and Suicidal tendencies all because of a lack of support with my real problems.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    im sorry to hear that. it is a disgrace how little support is available via mental health practitions. it seems to be once we exaust the medication route all that is available is CBT which i feel stands for complete ******** therapy. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Which came first the chicken or the egg? Hindsight is a wonderful thing! For me they are interlinked.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Mine are definitely interlinked! 
  • [Deleted User]
    like i said you cant seperate body and.mind. every cell in our body is governed by our nervous system .
  • AStoneham
    You certainly can't separate body & mind they affect each other weather we like it or not ?
  • ScottBorno
    ScottBorno Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I suffered with mh for years and losing a leg the way I did pushed me way over the edge, like off a cliff.  Was an inpatient 7 times at treatment facilities.  They finally found a cocktail of meds that keep me mostly content but if I stop taking them I lose it.  Major Depression, Severe w/o psychosis.
  • ScottBorno
    ScottBorno Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    JessAnn, when I see someone staring at my stump I usually initiate the conversation by saying something like "If you want to know what happened to my leg, I have a genetic blood disorder that causes my blood to clot for no reason.  I've had more DVT's than I can remember and eventually got one they couldn't clear so the leg had to go".  Then I move the conversation straight back to business.  (BTW, just timed myself saying that, 9.63 seconds).  When people stare it's because they wonder what happened but they're afraid to ask.  I just tell them right up front anymore. 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Lack of proper support has been the cause of the decline in my mental health, it was a lot worse the past year but now it's actually starting to feed great. The people who help me out are not capable of taking on my adult responsibilities.
    I sort of don't even care any more, like in a good way, since i can't fulfil my adult responsibilities myself and nobody else has stepped in to take care of them i just don't care and feel really free now despite council tax debts and bailiffs and all this BS i'm just not caring you know. I always used to think that the true definition of freedom was insanity, now i think this even more. It feels good though. I keep getting letters and stuff saying do no ignore but i do ignore them and nothing happens lol.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JessAnn Thought I like to mention to you that it is so difficult as a person with a disability.  To have people ask questions and be really quite rude.

Understand this I know the feelings and emotions around it all. I am always pointed at make reference to my hands. Have fingers missing.

Has effected my mental state. I do think  it is wrong and somethings not right in our society. For people to gesture at you, or either name call something unmentionable.

Never understand this and have recently retreated in to my home.  Having found it all a hassle and just felt why me.

One final point is why is it my issue to explain to people wanting to know why am I so different. One time used to say to the person causing the trouble and problems. We have all imperfections.   My reasons all falling around me as they continue not to listen.

Used to get more grief off adults than children.  Children have to be aware in society every one is different.  Instilled I hope by their parents.

Need to understand. I myself do not mind explaining to children but adults. Do feel intimidated by people.  If I allow them to do so.

To reassure my self and give me confidence I say must be staring at me. Because I am a good looking handsome gentleman .  Probably reminds them I look like a film star.  Male model.  Only a babe.  lol.

That boots my self esteem and I can feel upbeat once again.

Besides come on here and once again in the warm comfort of the forum. With true caring kind people of our community. Those love and warmth I get can help with my mental state.  Lots of reassurance.  Even though it has taken a battering from outside by members of a society have no conceivable idea . About me.  How I am and how I feel.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Hi there, I’ve been suffering from anxiety depression self harm and anything else that’s around due to my physical disability, I’ve been trying to get help from many different organisations for my mental illness but nobody seems that interested but I’m sure there’s someone on this forum that can help you. NC
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    An interesting point was raised here, that of embarrassment. I wonder why so many people are too embarrassed to ask about something when their attention is obviously drawn to it? I am not an amputee, in fact to look at me un-moving you might think there was nothing wrong with me at all. I often see people showing surprise when I grab 2 sticks and hobble about almost as though they are thinking "Why walk like that when nothing is wrong with you". Yet, they do not ask me that question unless they talk to me a lot first and begin to generate the first signs of friendship. Perhaps they think that strangers are not allowed to ask personal questions? Personally I often ask people what is wrong with them at a group run by mind as I know that we are all ill in some way. I think people appreciate the openness and honesty in the question. From my point of view it helps me have a conversation without saying something that would embarrass them or going beyond personal limits.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness