Buzzfeed and the lack of understanding of visual impairments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Buzzfeed and the lack of understanding of visual impairments

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
Over on twitter, people are sharing a Buzzfeed article that includes a now removed image of a person using a white stick who is checking their mobile phone.  The premise appears to be that someone with a vision impairment couldn't possibly use a phone.

Twitter user Dr Amy Kavanagh points out that most people with a visual impairment have some vision and that mocking disabled people is unacceptable.

And twitter user Beth Vrabel said:

For more information, head over to the RNIB website.

What do you think? Do you think there is a lack of understanding of disability and impairments? How can we educate people about disability? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Yes! its the 21st centry but disability hate crime is still. Galloping along tramperling over disabled people. Being ignored by the police. Council. Mp's and govenment 
    Time hate crime against disabled people was treated same as hate crime against blacks jews etc
    The sooner the better
  • moss
    moss Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited May 2018
    People are cruel unless it affects them directly unfortunately they will always come out with cruel remarks.  We are living in a fast pace society which also prevents success of disabled people in the work place.  It is fact that if you employ a disabled person they are more  likely to have less time off. work.   The down being that expecting them to keep up with the rest of employees enhances some conditions causing the inability to work to the end of a working retirement. Once you declare your  disability  within a work place they remember for a short period you are disabled then forget this often puts  to much expectations on the disabled.  The explanation for this is that they cannot treat a disabled person any different from rest of their employees.   Conclusion is that Society as a long way to go in changing there behaviour toward disabled people.  
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sam_Scope Once again another story to put us all in the spotlight. Lets have ago at the disabled. Lets have a bit of fun. Who is exactly laughing I am not.

Just an ordinary gentleman who finds this world increasingly hard and even tedious to complain any more.

Really hurts me every day the amount of stories reading now. On accessibility of the scrutiny of our community.

No matter how are going to educate people.

People do not want to know.

Unless it is effecting them.

Understand I am different I want education started at schools. Want the attitudes to stop.

Used to go to my friends school long time ago. Had a head teacher there who every month or so. Would invite a member of the community to the school.. Understand I was one. 

Till the parents objected to having their son or daughter learn about different religions and cultures.

Did Social Studies no one does that any more

Want the laws tightened, is this a hate crime. Who published it. Sorry you can not . All media and anything to with disability and our community is becoming too much of a target.

Becoming too easy. Becoming the norm. The message is not getting through.

Am being cautious have the Hate crime Unit on speed dial at all times if I need to. Should I be scared of course not. I live here but I do. Yet frightened to go out because of lack of empathy from society.

Understand I should know. Having to move so many times to get away from white supremacists and the demeaning ways of the neighbourhoods.

Do not want me in their eye line. Have no fundamental understanding about me or what ever sort of person I am.

Still get name called always unexpected but when it does happen. Angry yes for a while then feel sadness and sorrow and pity for some one to go that low.

Challenged it some times but it is not the way I feel to go off shouting to people who have no sense of purpose.

All I want is an inclusive society for all. Yet it is not happening. So what do we need to do.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    So many people seem to think that disabled people all use wheelchairs, scooters, crutches, canes, etc. Invisible disabilities are not well-known or understood. The concept of fluctuating conditions seems to be beyond a lot of people too. Oh, and I love the expressions on peoples' faces when I stand up from my wheelchair and walk.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.