Have you had an amputation? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you had an amputation?

Notoejo
Notoejo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Who out there has an amputation, how r u coping? 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Notoejo, you may like to chat with @6less, @owenandkay1 or @smith240863 who have all discussed amputations on the community in the past. Hope this helps!
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @Notoejo

Hopefully you will get some great response from community members, however, there is also an organisation for amputees that you might be interested in:

http://www.limbless-association.org/

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Meeshe
    Meeshe Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Notoejo
    I have an artificial limb.....I’ve had it for years.  What would you like to know? 
  • jackiepie
    jackiepie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have an artificial leg..below knee 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    This is an issue I wish I could talk sensibly about to someone in the health service. I do not at this moment have an amputation but, as most of my pain is caused by leg movement, it seems to me that removing the leg would likely reduce the pain significantly as the related nerves in the spine would no longer move and suffer damage. I have mentioned t to doctors a few times but all I got in return was raised eyebrows. I suppose that, as the leg looks sort of healthy, they think this would be a silly thing to do and I can never get through a proper explanation without them just walking off.

I appreciate that it would cause me other issues and having to find a different way to move about but then I do this very 2 to 3 months as the spine changes shape already. Surely one big change would be better than the constant changes I go through now, wouldn't it?

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Meeshe
    If I were you I would fight to keep your leg at all costs.  I had to have mine amputated as I had gangrene and had no choice at the age of 14.  I’ve managed with it ok throughout the years (I’m 52 now) but I would have loved to have kept my leg as I’ve had various difficulties through the years.  You say you’re incapacitated every 2-3 months and have to find a different way to move around. What if you had an amputation and for some reason you couldn’t wear a limb? You’d be in a wheelchair permanently. Even if you had a complete above Knee amputation the nerves to your spine would still be attached. You may get phantom pain too (pain in the nerves that are not there!). I don’t think that having an amputation would be the answer to your problems. Enjoy the life you’ve got and be thankful for your mobility when you have it. Kind regards Miche ?
  • ScottBorno
    ScottBorno Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I had a ''just above the ankle" amputation 11 years ago, got MERSA in the lower leg, endured 3 "we'll cut it off a little higher above the infection" surgeries, before they finally took it off above the knee.  Yes, 5 times in 5 months they cut off more of my leg before they could stop the infection and save my life.  I've been refitted with 3 prosthetic legs that I can't walk more than 100yds in.  I can't wear one.  Being laid up every 2-3 months is a pretty good deal compared to being in a chair for the rest of your life.  Doing it to get rid of pain?  Look up ''phantom pain".  I still have it daily.  
  • Meeshe
    Wow! Scott you’ve really been through the mill.  I’m so sorry you’ve suffered so many operations......5 in 5 months must be horrendous.  I had to have 3/4 amputations to reduce the bone growing through the end of my stump but I’m lucky to have been able to keep my knee.  I have at the moment got an infection in the bone and have had 2 lots of antibiotics but it’s still swollen and painful.  I had to have an X-ray this week to see why it’s so bony and I’m praying I won’t need anymore surgery as I know how painful it will be.  I haven’t been able to wear a limb for 4 weeks now and will have to have a refit once it’s healed.  I too have phantom pain that feels so real though a stump elastic support does help. I wish you all the best.
  • ScottBorno
    ScottBorno Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Meeshe, prayer and blessings for you!
  • Meeshe
    You too! God Bless  :) 

Brightness