severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

severe disability premium

allan1971
allan1971 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
just inquiring  has any one heard about the timescale for when those who lost the severe disability premium when having to move on to universal credit because of change of circumstance when they will be paying back the money lost

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @allan1971 and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you are able to get some answers regarding this!
    If there is anything I can do then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo do you have any information about this?
    Liam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    allan1971 said:
    just inquiring  has any one heard about the timescale for when those who lost the severe disability premium when having to move on to universal credit because of change of circumstance when they will be paying back the money lost
    I don't believe that there's been any further news regarding this as yet.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    This makes me so mad, why should people suffer from benefit changes? Is this not discrimination? I keep my nose out of the media, but tell me why is the govt getting away with this discrimination in disability benefits. There’s no excuse for delaying sdp if you already get it or are awarded it. Just my opinion. Where’s all the disability rights groups fighting against this? Please signpost me!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

allan1971
    allan1971,

No date yet, but the consultation runs until 20th August and I think the DWP will then need to change the draft regulations, so I wouldn't expect to see anything until October - and even then the DWP will have to identify people who have lost out which may take time.

Please do contact your MP about this and explain how you've lost out and the distress caused by the delay.

debbiedo49 - loads of organisations are pressing the government to act and to act more quickly. Eg CPAG is still pressing ahead with a test case because the compensation as announced so far isn't good enough.

Anyone who wants to can also respond to the consultation - the more claimants who respond the better!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• allan1971
    allan1971 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the update Will 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    At this point, I only trust charities led by disabled people, @Username_removed
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Username_removed I googled a bunch of them. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.