An anatomy question (not advice or help topic). — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

An anatomy question (not advice or help topic).

feir
feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
Hi, it doesn't bother me too much if i don't get an answer but i was more wondering what causes all these weird feelings in your body? Like right now it feels like i have something inside my back pushing on me, feels about as thick as a piece of card and covers quite a large area, my foot has had the feeling like there is something really thick inside it covering the sole area since october last year. Sometimes i have a nice sensation go all the way up my leg, feels like a ripple and is quite pleasant but everything else just feels weird or unpleasant but also not constantly painful so that's good. I know it's because my nerves aren't sending the right signals to my brain any more or maybe they're being interfered with but does anyone know in what way exactly? I have looked at the spine and nerves and found it interesting that you don't have just one nerve that goes from your spine down your leg to feel everything in your leg and more have lots of nerves go down it connected to different parts of the spine so that explained why i have a numb foot all the time but not a whole numb leg (although my leg can go number at times and has been completely numb before now).
Also does anyone know what kind of things i should educate myself on to to know more about the neural system? Like what terminologies to use?

Comments

• bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hi @feir

Has your doctor refered you to a nuerologist? 
    I also have peripheral neuropathy.
    (Basically i have damage to the nerves in my brain).
    Which has caused numbness in my hands and feet. (They are also painful and very cold). 
    I've just had yet another MRI to check if the nerve damage has spread, because I've started having numbness in my legs and arms aswell. 
    My nuerologist has said, this could happen.
    Not sure if this is helpful to you?
    Hope you get answers.
  • SunshineLou
    SunshineLou Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
  • feir
    I'm under a spine consultant @bevt2017 He's been really good and does ask if i understand what he's said and prompts me to ask him anything but i often forget what i wanted to ask, i think what i'd be asking him here as well could take ages to explain?  When i was admitted to hospital they suspected neuropathy, seeing as some parts of my body are permanently numb i guess this would be partially a correct diagnosis, but some numbness comes and goes if i move about so i guess some nerves are only being irritated by movement. I have had an MRI early this year but only for my spine, not sure if they can observe my nerves or if my spine consultant would be looking out for these things either but nobody has mentioned looking into what's going on there. I think they focused more on my pain and bladder issues anyway, and when i go numb that also lowers my pain so maybe i don't have neuropathy?
    I stood on a tiny piece of glass yesterday, it was about as thin as a small sewing needle and went into my foot but it felt like i'd stood on a bit of grit, so i do still have some feeling where the numbness is also it's just not registering properly. I'll probably fo see someone about this though when i feel less mentally drained and tired, was more wondering how my body is affected and why so yes you were helpful, thanks.

• feir
    @feir sounds like what I have too.
    this is it ;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysesthesia
    I had a look and i don't think i have that, i don't get most of those symptoms. I do get random stabbing pains and clothing labels became painful some years ago rather than just being annoying but that's about it. Most of my unpleasant feelings are inside my body also, like under the skin and where muscles are.
    Your link was really helpful though because now i have an idea to look for neurological disorders and some links going off that page look handy as well, thanks.

Brightness