ESA underpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment

Adey
Adey Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I moved from incapacity benefit to ESA and was put into ESA group I think I was put on income related will I be affected by the mistake that's been made to qualify  for back payment

Comments

• starchild
    starchild Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    You get a letter from them and then a form  to fill in  go to get help with form 
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    I was put on 2011 will I get back pay  from the underpaid 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,041 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    sam12 said:
    I was put on 2011 will I get back pay  from the underpaid 
    If you transferred from Incapacity benefit and have no other household income and you weren't assessed for Income related top up at the time then yes it will be backdated. You'll need to fill out an ESA3 form. With very little information, it's very difficult to advise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sam12
    Kant understand because I been sick for years been on benefits over 20 years I must been on incapacity benefit confusing with income support cause income support means for able to work  incapacity is for unable to work because of health so long ago I Kant remember I ask my bf. Thanks poppy
  • sam12
    Was on income support b4 esa trsnsfer this any help to the under payment 
  • poppy123456
    As you were previously claiming Income Support then i highly doubt that the underpayment would affect you because you should already be claiming Income Related ESA. You don't say if your claim is a single or joint claim for ESA but a single person claim for someone in the Support Group is £127.15 per week.

The Severe disability premium (SDP) isn't automatically paid. You need to be claiming Mid/high rate care DLA or daily living PIP, no one must claim carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone, or be classed as living alone, to claim this premium of £64.30 per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sam12
    I get middle low Dla.i live alone on 191.45 wk am certain b4 was I was on incapacity benefit and income support. I get two premiums on was 15 guaranteed. 64 I think for other no letter .Am coming off was soon not yet but this year my bf and I moving to new area  for fresh start 
  • poppy123456
    You already claim the 2 premiums with your ESA, there's no more premiums you could claim.
  • Trish56
    Trish56 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi i was on long term incapacity benefit then in 2014 they changed me to contribution ESA. Never told me anything.im in the support group. I was sent a form to reapply for my esa so i telephoned to check it was legitimate was told it was i needed to do it. I lost my severe disability premium and the other one. I get less than my sister who is on related esa. And she gets all the help with dentist optician etc and i get none of that. I was told by my sister about the underpayment am i entitled to it.

• Trish56
    I also get pip enhanced care and mobility.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,
    I'm confused by your question. You say you were sent a form to re-apply for ESA, do you mean you were claiming Contribution based ESA and you were sent an ESA3 form to apply for Income Related top?

Why did you lose both of the premiums? Have you ever claimed them and do you still claim ESA? Your ESA hasn't stopped because of a recent face to face assessment or anything?
  • Trish56
    I still get Esa support. I used to get my extra disability premiums when i claimed incapaciity then it stopped when i moved to esa.i dont know what the form was just said i had to fill it in and make sure things wer still the same.but it wasnt.i got less money plus dental and optical charges.
  • poppy123456
    The Income related top up will depend on circumstances, whether you live with a partner that works and household income. You need to ring ESA to ask them to send you the ESA3 form to assess you for the Income Related top up.

Do be careful doing this because if your area is a full universal credit area then the Income Related tops will mean a move to UC. Check your area here.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I would begin by checking to find out if you are able to claim UC. You have to call ESA and ask them to send you a copy of the form you need. Remember that it is individually dependent upon your personal circumstances. Good luck. Hopefully you’ll get it. Use the link provided to check first. 
  • poppy123456
    If your area is a full UC area, please speak to your local CAB for further advice.
  • Trish56
    Im on full pip care and mobility long term.think that makes a difference+ my husband is on army disablement.
  • poppy123456
    Do you mean Armed Forces Independence Payment?
    For your premiums being in a full universal credit area will make a difference. Which is why i advised to get further advice from your local CAB if you are.
  • poppy123456
    Being entitled to the Income related top ups (premiums) will also depend on household income. As you live with your husband. Pop all of your details, including your husbands into this benefits calculator and it will tell you what you can claim. They are quite accurate if all the details are entered correctly.

• Trish56
    My husbands is war mobility pension. Thank you for your help i will check with the calculator. Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    What other benefits does he claim?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.