Disabled parking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled parking

Options
janejr
janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
Just got back from the dentist and really angry as had to walk a mission because selfish non disabled people had parked in disabled parking spaces. I have osteoarthritis in all my joints and my right knee is so bad my bones slip causing me agony. I'm now at home and in so much pain I can't move. There must be something that can be done about these morons. I've never reported anyone for anything but would be willing to report these people

Comments

• DocG
    DocG Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    see it all the time. its discusting.
  • shirleyt214
    shirleyt214 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    You're wasting your time - they're not interested!
    Shirley Todd
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    If they are using a blue badge without a good reason then you can report them to whoever issued it.

However, car parks belong to whoever they are for, in this case the dentist. All you can do is complain at reception but they are unlikely to bother. As others have stated most people couldn't care less about the problems they cause others. The best you could really hope for is to loudly make a point of it at reception and maybe shame them though it is also possible that they could become very nasty towards you. Healthy people do that a lot these days under similar circumstances.

I had a similar problem at a nearby store. With resident parking restrictions there is only enough room for 2 cars to park on double yellow lines close to the shop. Often though, due to inability to park properly, only 1 car would fit. Many times I had to make 3 or 4 trips there and back trying to park on them because of lazy healthy people parking as close as possible. Having a cash machine outside just made it worse. Reporting them to the council would have been pointless as the area was never patrolled and no one would arrive quickly enough and, although I regularly complained at the check out in a loud voice, the staff could do nothing and all I caused was red faces a few times and one very loud row with some moronic 20 something who thought he could park his Mercedes wherever he liked whenever he wanted to.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @janejr Great to hear from you been a while. All I can add want to see the laws they have in the USA.

Varies from State to state. Tough penalties 

Although we all complain about disabled spaces being filled with people who do not and are not disabled. Those who do not have a blue badge. . Especially in the supermarkets or discounts stores.

No one is listening.  Every time I have gone out recently more and more hassle and all I wish to drive in peace.  Park do a quiet bit of shopping not fear for my own safety and worry if I will be branded some thing awful and unrepeatable. All because I have a disability.

Last time so much has happened with the lack of disabled spaces.  Bad parking and lots of things causes me for concern.

Attitudes towards our community. The disrespectful demeanour.

No one has patience and tolerance. All frightening and scary.

Feel safer at home but I do need to go out. If I park my car please think of me and stop being silly as I try to park. In a disabled bay or wherever . Think what the other driver is doing. Not them I do all the time.

Parked always sweaty, anxious and being nervous all because of reactions from others who wish to harm and hurt.

Hope you OK Great to talk to you

Please take care 

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    @thespiceman, society as a whole has developed and promoted a very selfish attitude in people especially the younger ones from teens upwards. It has been a gradual process that I have noted as I have aged and somehow I think it will only continue to get worse.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • shirleyt214
    shirleyt214 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    I am concerned that the "I'll only be two minutes" attitude has become an epidemic
    Shirley Todd

Brightness