Narcolepsy:Are there different Variations? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Narcolepsy:Are there different Variations?

rugrat
rugrat Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I fall asleep whilst eating/drinking/talking. Had to stop driving as I fell asleep at the wheel. Do I have Natcolepsy

Comments

• rugrat
    rugrat Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Should be Narcolepsy. 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    It does sound like it @rugrat although some medications can cause this effect as well in some people. Best to discuss it with your GP/

Whilst I almost always lie down in my chair to sleep there are times when I am going through withdrawal that I can wake up sitting up after a short nap and a couple of times I have been smoking a cigarette when it happens as I don't feel tired.

TK.
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • sleepysun
    sleepysun Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    I have narcolepsy. My first symptoms begun with me falling asleep every time I was in a moving vehicle within a few minutes, it escalated to falling asleep whenever I would sit down or relax at all, and then into falling asleep even when I was actively doing things (I fell asleep in exams, holding babies, watching films, even in concerts standing up and while walking). It’s definitely best to get it looked at even if it isn’t narcolepsy. It sounds as though you have sleep attacks. Another symptom of narcolepsy is entering R.E.M (dreaming) sleep very quickly. The average person dreams after around 90 minutes of sleep, whereas someone with narcolepsy would dream much quicker and would have very vivid dreams. I can dream within five minutes of sleep, and often have very vivid lucid dreams/nightmares that I normally remember. Some people with narcolepsy also experience Cataplexy (I do)- which is a loss of muscle control/muscle weakness/lightheadedness with intense emotions such as laughter (what I have) or anger. When I laugh, I briefly lose parts of my vision and in less severe cases my knees buckle and I have to hold onto something and stop laughing as soon as possible, but in more severe cases people have to hold me up and I struggle to come back into control. There are many more symptoms, not everyone experiences all of them, so the best advice I can give is to do your research and contact your GP about any concerns you have. The waiting process can be long so the quicker you address it the better, and don’t always believe the first doctor you see. My first doctor said I was just a lazy teenager (which obviously wasn’t the case), and led me to resist speaking to more professionals for over 2 years. You know your body better than anyone, trust it if something seems wrong. I hope this helped.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @rugrat! This certainly sounds like something to discuss with your GP- do keep us updated and let us know how you get on.

Brightness