Does anyone know do th dwp tell you on the phone your award on pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone know do th dwp tell you on the phone your award on pip

Gwendoline1
Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
Hi everyone, I’m left a little baffled. I rang the dwp today to ask if a decision had been made on my pip. I was told by a customer advisor that no decision had been made as yet, even if it had they’d be unable to tell me via the phone, because there would be to much information and maybe the message could be misunderstood.
I’d like to know if anyone as had their pip decision told to them over the phone or is this correct that they don’t tell you and you have to wait for the letter. Thanks ever so much.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Hi,

Yes they can and do tell you, if a decisions been made. Once it's been made there's approx a 24 hour wait for it to transfer the information from one computer to another. Once this happens they can see it and will tell you. As it hasn't been made then they can't tell you. Hopefully not too long now.

My decision was told to me twice over the phone, the first time and for review. My daughters also was told to me when i rang them last year. Don't be fooled by what you've been told today...complete nonsense.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gwendoline1
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I understand that they can’t tell me something that isn’t there,they seem to make up these bizarre statements. 
    In did wonder if it was just to put people off ringing for their decision.
    In do hope it won’t be long, 7 weeks and counting haha.
    Thanks for confirming because I was sure they did tell you.?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    They can't tell you what your award is until they have the information on the screen infront of them and only when the letter has been sent but not yet received by yourself. I had made several calls about my award and finials told the letter is in the post but I can tell you the award details which was comfirmed a few days later in the post.
  • poppy123456
    Usually they do go with the report, if they go against it's very rare but it can happen. I waited just over 6 weeks for my daughters decision after her assessment. Nail biting yes but they did go with the report. The same for mine both times, they went with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Usually they do go with the report, if they go against it's very rare but it can happen. I waited just over 6 weeks for my daughters decision after her assessment. Nail biting yes but they did go with the report. The same for mine both times, they went with the report.
    I'm so pleased that she received the award that she was entitled to.
    In having a decent and fairly accurate assessment report for her as well as yourself in the past, I wonder if there is an mileage in asking how did you manage to get the assessor to accept what was said in the assessment and to ensure that a accurate and honest report was forthcoming?

I have had 3 such opinions and all of them stated the opposite to what I said and contradicted all of the evidence submitted.

As an example I have had 23 years history of mental health issues that impact on my life. Yet all 3 opinions stated that I do not have any mental health issues.
  • poppy123456
    Yadnad said:

I'm so pleased that she received the award that she was entitled to.
    In having a decent and fairly accurate assessment report for her as well as yourself in the past, I wonder if there is an mileage in asking how did you manage to get the assessor to accept what was said in the assessment and to ensure that a accurate and honest report was forthcoming?

I have no idea what you mean by "how did i manage to get the assessor to accept what was said in the assessment"? They simply asked the questions, which i answered for all the assessments (i'm my daughters appointee) the evidence i sent proved without doubt that the descriptors in question applied. They did contact 2 people for my daughter, just to verify one question. No one was contacted for myself for both claims.

I know you had bad assessments for ALL of your claims and lies were told but that doesn't mean everyone experiences the same thing. There's such a thing as honest HCP's regardless of what others think.
  • Gwendoline1
    Hi, thanks everyone for replying ?
  • Yadnad

I have no idea what you mean by "how did i manage to get the assessor to accept what was said in the assessment"? They simply asked the questions, which i answered for all the assessments (i'm my daughters appointee) the evidence i sent proved without doubt that the descriptors in question applied. They did contact 2 people for my daughter, just to verify one question. No one was contacted for myself for both claims.

I know you had bad assessments for ALL of your claims and lies were told but that doesn't mean everyone experiences the same thing. There's such a thing as honest HCP's regardless of what others think.
    I have yet to meet one!
    Historically, I received my DLA without issue. But with my old ESA claim in 2009 I had a report that said that there was nothing wrong with me and I should be working, yet when the DWP were challenged they mysteriously changed that to the Support Group for 3 years. My IIDB assessments & re-assessments were a doddle - a doctor each time went through everything and awarded me what I thought was generous eventually making it for life. Then PIP - well say no more.

So it seems that the only time I have been knocked back is when face to face assessors get involved in making up fairy tales.

But I am free from all of that thank goodness. When the DWP change their attitude towards AA and insisting that only those that have carers coming in can have it I will be looking for an award.  
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Yadnad I’m confused re your comment on AA- you can claim it whether you get the help or not.
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    Pin said:
    Yadnad I’m confused re your comment on AA- you can claim it whether you get the help or not.
    Yes it does seem to suggest that but my comment was really centred on the level of that care that is needed. The notes attached to the claim form and bits of research I have carried out into this benefit states quite clearly state that you must need help or supervision throughout the day or at regular times during the night.

Thankfully I am not in that position myself to need that level of care continually throughout the day.or at regular intervals throughout the night.

As my wife cannot due to her own health issues, provide that level of care if I needed it and as such the only way that I could get care throughout the day is by having a full time carer coming in hence my earlier comment.

The only confusion that I do have is that people say that it is exactly like the care element of DLA. No it isn't, I was receiving both, high care and high mobility under DLA since 1995 indefinitely and I certainly wasn't in need of day/night carers on a continual basis.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.