Refused PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused PIP

karen0209
karen0209 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have recently applied for PIP and have been refused. I suffer from mental health problems, this is making my anxiety worse. I don't leave my house and when I do I have to take diazepam and my husband has to be with me. I'm so upset as I have always worked full time and this is the first time my mental health problems have prevented me to work. I have an appointment with psychology next week. I just feel so let down by DWP. Thank you for listening x

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Hi @karen0209, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear this- applying for PIP can feel like such a draining process, and I'm really sorry to hear about the impact it's had on you. I'm sure many of our community members will be able to empathise with how you're feeling, too. Are you appealing the decision? 
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    edited July 2018
    This is awful get a Social Worker
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    This is awful get a Social Worker Neville Pearson
    Easier said than done I'm afraid. It used to be the case that when asking for an assessment to be carried out SS were on to the case within weeks. In my area now it can be many months if at all.
  • karen0209
    I am going to appeal, the chap said on the phone I didn't get it because of mobility, at the f2f I did say I could not go out without my husband driving me from A-B and also I found it hard to be around strangers, my husband has to prompt me to take meds, to eat and to shower, I just don't understand, the girl was quite rude x
  • karen0209
    I feel extremely low and in the past I have self harmed.. I was abused as a child.. The person committed suicide just before the court case.. I am 50 this year and my life has fell apart.. Thankfully I have a wonderful family and Doctor x
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @karen0209, I have social anxiety, depression and FND and I appealed my PIP. 

Afyer my f2f I was awarded standard daily, dropping from enhanced. Was never awarded mobility.

At my appeal I was awarded enhanced daily and standard mobility.

The things you describe above are some of the issues I have, taking a journey, meds, shower etc so please as hard as this journey will be go for MR and if need be appeal.

Its a difficult and the anxiety is overwhelming but I’m sure you with support will get through it.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    This is awful get a Social Worker Neville Pearson
    Don't we all wish it was that easy. Mentioning names on a public forum isn't allowed either.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds like you've had a really tough time recently @karen0209, I'm so sorry. I'm really glad you have supportive people around you and you're looking to appeal- Scope's guidance on DWP appeals may help you to get started. Do keep us updated and come back to us with any questions!

https://youtu.be/tIHjSpNNbQo
  • karen0209
    I will, thank you so much for listening and understanding.. it means a lot x
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Honestly you should appeal the decision. I’m currently writing a letter of complaint about my son’s assessment report. Sometimes I feel that they do not do their job properly. And that frustrates me so much.  
  • karen0209
    I just feel I've battled on with my mental health and now that I can't go out and work I'm discriminated against me because of my problems, I'm embarrassed to wear short sleeve tops and shorts due to scars from self harming... if I hadn't had diazepam in the house yesterday I would've went down that route again. I felt that the assessor wasn't interested.. 

• thara
    thara Posts: 49 Courageous
    My son’s first ever assessment report contained several inaccuracies. I read the report carefully after it came through the mail. I have contacted the DWP expressing my concerns and I am inclined to compose a letter of complaint about the whole thing. The assessment form is a killer form of questions about the diagnosis and the difficulties associated with the condition. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    71% of PIP tribunals are being won by claimants.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Waylay said:
    71% of PIP tribunals are being won by claimants.
    ….but only if you have a qualified ref working alongside you. Not having a rep to attend with you sees the 'win' rate plummet to under 50%

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.