Appeal cancelled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal cancelled

Tigermoth42
Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
Hi everyone, just thought I’d give an update on my ‘Travels with PIP’ 

Having had enhanced living and standard mobility reinstated at MR, I sent in my appeal and sat back waiting for the date. A dreaded brown envelope plopped on my mat on Saturday morning and, with some trepidation, I opened it and read the letter from the DWP.  They’ve reinstated enhanced mobility and decided the appeal will not continue. I can only assume that, once they received the paperwork from the courts, they looked at my claim again, together with the medical documents and photos I sent, and decided not to defend the case. 

To say I’m made up is an understatement. The additional stress and anxiety all this has caused has come close to killing me and, in the event, was unnecessary, but I can breathe again.

Thank you to everyone for your support during this highly stressful time. Hugs all round ?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh that's great news @Tigermoth42, really pleased for you and hope you can take some time to look after yourself now!
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @Pippa_Scope thank you so much, I cried when I read the letter, it’s been such a nightmare, I am staggered that they’ve cancelled the appeal, I’ve not personally come across anyone yet who’s had this happen. Maybe things are finally changing! We can but hope. I did wonder what the recent pip payment into my account was for, now I know.... it was the arrears ?My motability car went back 6 weeks ago, I could have kept it if it wasn’t for this rigmarole lol. The relief is palpable, so much so that I can re-engage with the lovely people here, I basically vanished for a few weeks as the stress was making me more ill than ever. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tigermoth42 fabulous news, it’s awful you’v been put through the ordeal in the first place.

I hope your award was for a decent length of time x
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @susan48 thank you so much for your lovely words.

Sadly, it’s only for two years, they’ll reassess next February which is a bit of a joke tbh as I’m not going to miraculously get better - if only! At least I’ll be better prepared next time around and make sure I photograph myself prior to any possible ‘medical’ f2f to avoid, in part, the mess up where the assessor said she didn’t observe any swelling - she didn’t ask me to take off my ugg boots, had she done so she would have seen my hugely swollen lower legs, feet and ankles. My husband has said we’ll put in a request to record the assessment too. I think he’s secretly a bit annoyed as he was looking forward to our day in court to prove the Atos person wrong, me...I’m just glad it’s over, for now ?
  • susan48
    Just relax and enjoy it for now and as you say, you be prepared the next time. 

I might need need to pick your brain when mine comes round again  :)
  • Tigermoth42
    Any time @susan48 it would be a pleasure to help you. Hope you enjoy your day my lovely ? xx
  • susan48
    Thank you @Tigermoth42 and you too x
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Tigermoth42

That is great news for you and your family.

Thanks for letting us know.

Rather odd that recently the DWP has been contacting people, who are waiting to go to tribunal, about PIP.

They then offer an increase in the award, if they drop the appeal!

Call me an old cynic, but I feel the DWP, is loosing its corporate nerve.

They are due to announce changes to review of claims, "by the end of the summer", for claimants who get enhance rate for both awards.

Rats and sinking ship, come to mind.

Can't wait my the end of British summer time and DWP changes!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    I opened it and read the letter from the DWP.  They’ve reinstated enhanced mobility and decided the appeal will not continue. I can only assume that, once they received the paperwork from the courts, they looked at my claim again, together with the medical documents and photos I sent, and decided not to defend the case. 

I presume that you sent evidence to the DWP for the MR?

The people that I really feel for are those that can't afford financially to not have PIP at the correct rate and are put off from going that next step further and making an appeal after a failed MR. For those that losing the money is not really important I don't blame them in giving up.

In your case if you had not bothered to appeal due to stress etc of the system you would not have received the increase in the mobility element.

It therefore does make me wonder if the DWP will only get their act together when they realise that the claimant is not going to fold and give up.
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @Yadnad, yes I did send the extra medical stuff at the MR stage. At this point they upped the award to enhanced living from standard and standard mobility from nothing. I’d been in receipt of enhanced rate PIP, both components, for two years and higher rate dla for three before that. 

I too wonder if it’s the case that they capitulate when they realise you’re not going to give up. If it wasn’t for my family I’d have sunk without a trace, my husband drafted two fantastic letters for me and, like you, I feel desperately sad for those who don’t have the support or wherewithal to fight the system. 

We we can but hope that things might be changing. 
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @atlas46 and thank you for your kind words. 

I’ve not come across anyone yet who’s had the appeal stopped by the dwp but, if they are now doing this, it can only be for the good. Very disappointing though that they have to put the most vulnerable people through the mill unnecessarily in the first place. 

Chuckling at your rats and sinking ships comment ? let’s hope that the winds of change are finally coming. 
  • Yadnad

We we can but hope that things might be changing. 
    No doubt things will change but when?
    Also I would suggest that there will be so much red tape and restrictions imposed that it becomes another nightmare trying to get the justice that people deserve.

The DWP have never given in gracefully to anything and have always drafted their own version of what the regulations say and have stuck to them until forced by the courts to back down.
  • Tigermoth42
    Hear hear @Yadnad well said! I find it disgusting that the most vulnerable members of society are being forced to jump through metaphorical hoops just to get a bit of help. It’s a rhetorical question I know, but why? 
  • Yadnad
    Hear hear @Yadnad well said! I find it disgusting that the most vulnerable members of society are being forced to jump through metaphorical hoops just to get a bit of help. It’s a rhetorical question I know, but why? 
    Presumably because they are the easiest target to hit and have the least amount  of public interest and sympathy shown to them. Percentage wise they are also the least likely to vote in a general election.

Next comes those over 65. who garner more public interest only because everybody knows that they too will eventually be one. There is also the case that the 'oldies' tend to vote conservative at general elections..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.