Pip assessment- should I appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment- should I appeal?

Susan3696
Susan3696 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone
I had my pip assessment and was refused along with a refusal for mandatory reconsideration. I suffer with RA, and after having assessment I feel traumatised as it felt like being at a police station being questioned, which brought back bad childhood memory's.  I was also in a lot of back pain, so couldn't wait to get out of there. They made me feel like a lier and criminal. I felt suicidal and felt like self harming following the assessment and still very depressed.
Don't no if I could go through an appeal, just want to give up.

Comments

• debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Hello susan
    I do understand a lot of what you are experiencing.  I felt very similar while going through my medical assessments, Mandatory Reconsideration and Tribunal hearing.  It all took nearly a year from the start of the nightmare to the successful outcome of the Tribunal.  If you managed to get through that horrible assessment then i can honestly say to you that the Tribunal is a very different experience.  The judges are independent of the DWP, they are more understanding of your situation and make you feel at ease as soon as you walk through the door.  Unlike the monsters who work for the DWP, these judges are real human beings!!  These assessments are designed to make you feel as you say you felt, so they are getting something right!  Why make it easy for THEM and give up?  Please, do not give up.  You have got this far.  Stretch this out further to the Tribunal stage.  Give yourself the chance to be heard by real people who are kind, considerate and understanding. x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Susan3696 and a warm welcome to the community. Thank you very much for sharing your story with us today. I am really sorry to hear that you found the process so difficult, unfortunately I am sure many community members will be able to relate to this.
    If you do choose to appeal again then Citizens Advice would be able to help with this process. Also, if you have a go at the PIP self- test online it may give you an indication of the award that you should be getting- please do take this with a pinch of salt though (assessors wouldn't always give you the same score).
    The fact you got through the assessment is amazing and you should be very proud of yourself for that. The community is here to support you, but if you are feeling extremely low or suicidal then please do reach out to an organisation like MIND or Samaritans
    Please do have a look around the community and let me know if there is anything else that I can do! :)
    Scope

• Susan3696
    Aww thank you so much for your kind words its really appreciated.  I have been searching utube and found a lot of people are suffering as. a result of pip claims and being refused. The system is so unfare. I have contacted my mp in regard to my case, but because my joints were not to bad at the time of the claim, I don't think I stand much of a chance. Wish they look at my case now instead as crp is up to 82, and had to have more medication, steroids to try and give me some relief. The system is so wrong, but I will fight my case and hope for the best outcome, All the best to all thoughts suffering with due to pip. X
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    We all wish you the very best of luck @Susan3696 and please keep us updated :) Have a lovely day!
    Scope

• Susan3696
    Thanks Chloe x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.