Disability Parking Permits for Hidden Disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Parking Permits for Hidden Disabilities

larnny
larnny Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi there!

I just saw this headline on the BBC and wondered how I would find out more about this criteria? Is it different for every local council or does one rule apply for all of them?

Thanks

larny

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    What ever next! I thought like most if not all people that those who hold a blue badge have a physical disability and needed to park close to the amenities or facilities they wish to use. We have all seen cars park display their badge then walk off as, like a normal able bodied person, hidden disability ok we accept this but now councils will from sometime next year be able or required to issue blue badges to people with mental disabilities, autism was quoted and other will be added. Does, will this mean a parent who's child or an adult who has autism can obtain a badge to use while out with their child or their selves, even though they are fully mobile???
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    How will disabled people EVER find a bay to.park in when all those non disabled people who can.walk will be dumped in disabled bays
  • jw0957
    jw0957 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Hi, l have just seen the great news about the mentally disabled and hidden disabled who qualify for a blue badge. What about those who don't qualify but have various health problems as well as a physical disability??  I am one of those people who have a physical disability and need to use a walking stick, but because I don't have 12 points for PIP I don't qualify for a blue badge. When will those rules change for others like me?? 
  • zacthezebra
    zacthezebra Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    jw0957 said:
    Hi, l have just seen the great news about the mentally disabled and hidden disabled who qualify for a blue badge. What about those who don't qualify but have various health problems as well as a physical disability??  I am one of those people who have a physical disability and need to use a walking stick, but because I don't have 12 points for PIP I don't qualify for a blue badge. When will those rules change for others like me?? 

You don't need to have 12 points you can ask the issuing council for an assessment.Support from your GP will help. I had an assessment and was awarded a blue badge before I received 12 points for PIP. I also got my dad a blue badge a few months before he passed away without PIP or DLA awards.
  • zacthezebra
    zacthezebra Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    edited July 2018
    This is good news for people with hidden disabilities who really genuinely do need a blue badge.I hope cases are going to be assessed and granted on an individual basis or it will be open to abuse.Its hard enough for physically disabled people like myself to find a empty disabled bay as it is.
  • jw0957
    jw0957 said:

You don't need to have 12 points you can ask the issuing council for an assessment.Support from your GP will help. I had an assessment and was awarded a blue badge before I received 12 points for PIP. I also got my dad a blue badge a few months before he passed away without PIP or DLA awards.

• jw0957
    Zacthezebra, thanks so much for that! I will certainly go to my local council and my Gp and ask about it. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @larnny Thank you for raising this and may I add..

Understand to me this is what is happening. Those with hidden disabilities. Given the opportunity to have a blue badge.

This comes in to force next year. I do agree how far it is going to be implemented to what disability and illness.

All due to councils discretion.  

I do have and want every body to have a badge that needs it and knows that they will benefit from having it. 

As I am reading the rules there needs to be more clarification. I just think and do hope that will there be enough disabled spaces to cover for every body.

One of the concerns is that.  Already struggle now for a disabled space and will be more green areas made to create spaces.

Plenty of new spaces may have to be created at the expense of able shoppers is that going to be a crisis.

So little information and we need to know. Lots of the form filling can be done on line. Also I did not know about if not getting enough points can have an assessment.  For a blue badge .

Much misinformation.  All confusing. Hope and pray this Government does not change its mind.

My anxiety and worry for all our community.

This is the start is it not.  To help and assist those to have a sense of a more inclusive society.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

And my local County Council are dishing out Blue Badges on renewal without seeking continuing proof that the qualifying conditions are still being met. All the on line form says now is - 'have your difficulties improved since the issue of your old Blue Badge' - obviously no, no one is going to say yes are they?

That's it pay your £10 and get your new 3 year badge.

• Yadnad
    I just think and do hope that will there be enough disabled spaces to cover for every body.

One of the concerns is that.  Already struggle now for a disabled space and will be more green areas made to create spaces.
    Why worry about parking bays for the blue badge holders.

When I used to drive up until earlier this year I always used double yellow lines for 3 hours. Just make sure there are no lines on the pavement edge and you can park almost anywhere for free.

• larnny
    larnny Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I understand that this news may be a problem, as people have pointed out, there may not be enough bays to go around. However, I would hope that the powers that be would make more bays in anticipation for this change. Also, mentioned above, is that people can also park on double yellows as well as bays for up to 3 hours. I also think that it's an important step to acknowledge hidden disabilities on par with physically seen disabilities. Perhaps this will make someone take people with hidden disabilities more seriously? Also, there are people where their physical health is directly linked to their mental health, which can worsen or improve at will. This step in the right direction will help those people in need. It troubles me that so many disabled people are hostile to this change and highlights that even within this minority community that prejudices are still alive and well.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Our shops have 1 bay on either side of the road.
    No whete near shops. Where are disabled people goimg to park when thetes people who can WALK in those 2 bays
  • lac933
    lac933 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm really concerned that this new development will open up abuse of the system. I have a hidden disability that restricts my mobility severely but am not eligible for a blue badge, even though I could really use one. But at the end of the day I can walk- it's painful, it's difficult, I have to conserve and spend steps, but I can walk whereas most people using the disabled bays can't. If you're opening it up for a whole host of disabilities- especially mental disabilities, where save for a few extreme exceptions I can't see where a closer parking space would be necessary- the people that really need them are going to suffer. 80% of disabilities are invisible- are the government and local councils prepared for the onslaught of requests? Where are all of these extra spaces going to come from? If they're going to convert general parking bays into blue badge ones it will be the same issue whilst creating problems with general parking. I sincerely hope distribution of blue badges is going to be taken seriously with a lot of assessment, but then for the DfT to be advertising the new system via every charity/company/organisation that deals with people with invisible disabilities when not planning to give many out is irresponsible and creating false hope.
  • Yadnad
     I sincerely hope distribution of blue badges is going to be taken seriously with a lot of assessment, but then for the DfT to be advertising the new system via every charity/company/organisation that deals with people with invisible disabilities when not planning to give many out is irresponsible and creating false hope.
    As for assessing and checking entitlement for a Blue Badge, I can only tell you what is happening in my County Council area.

For all renewals (except for those who have an automatic right) that are applied for online, no evidence of entitlement is asked for. One question is asked - Have your mobility difficulties improved since when you applied for the badge being renewed?

Answer NO and you get the new badge
    Answer YES and you will then be asked to supply evidence and probably have an assessment to establish continued entitlement.

I would like to know how many will actually admit to having an improvement? Nobody I would imagine if they have any sense.

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Yadnad

Which County Council do you live in?

The rules for renewing Blue Badges, were reinforced about five years ago.

Your council would appear not to be following these new rules and I would wish to report them, to the appropriate authorities.

I do not wish to see abuse of the Blue Badge system, as a Blue Badge user, this is important to me.

Best wishes
  • Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @Yadnad

Which County Council do you live in?

The rules for renewing Blue Badges, were reinforced about five years ago.

Your council would appear not to be following these new rules and I would wish to report them, to the appropriate authorities.

I do not wish to see abuse of the Blue Badge system, as a Blue Badge user, this is important to me.

Best wishes
    I agree they were and proving entitlement is required when making the claim for a first badge (according to my CC).
    Any subsequent applications they are relying on the honesty of the applicant to tell them at renewal if the difficulties have got better. They don't see that it is appropriate to have the claimant prove entitlement every 3 years.

You only find this 'shortcut' out when you are over half way through the online application. As such the information does not appear anywhere else. 
    Yes I was surprised too as it is a renewal for my wife so that she can use it when we/she is taken out by either daughter.

So unless you are a resident of my county (Kent) you will not be able to access the online application.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Yadnad

Thank you for your kind reply.

So Kent County Council, is the offending body.

I can assure you I will take up the cause, with said body.

• Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @Yadnad

Thank you for your kind reply.

So Kent County Council, is the offending body.

I can assure you I will take up the cause, with said body.

Pleased to be of help
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    This is disgraceful!!! A blue badge is for disabled people that can’t walk any other disability should not even be considered. NC
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    My opinion is that if your entitled to a blue badge regardless of what your disability is then it’s your own personal choice as to whether you claim for one.
    People with hidden disability, which is myself, should not be discriminated against EVER.

I personally could get a blue badge but have chosen not too. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.