I have Fibro and have just been dismissed from my job, now what? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have Fibro and have just been dismissed from my job, now what?

ChelleBS
ChelleBS Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2018 in Work and employment
I have Fibromyalgia and have recently been dismissed from my job on health grounds.
No idea what to do next, do I try to find other work, am I entitled to any benefits? I need help!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ChelleBS and a very warm welcome to the community. I am really sorry to hear this! I hope the community is able to offer some support and guidance. If you use the benefit calculator online it may be able to indicate what things you would be entitled to. What kind of work have you just left? If you are eligible for PIP then you can receive this regardless of working or not. I hope you get some answers and the community is able to support you with this. If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• ChelleBS
    Hi, I was a Civil Servant working in Finance for the MOD. Never been out of work before so I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. Don't think I'm entitled to anything as getting compensation, but not enough to pay off debts and live
  • ChelleBS
    Just completed the benefits calculator, not entitled to anything so I guess it's back to work of some kind
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you thought about PIP?
  • ChelleBS
    I have looked into it but after reading some of the horror stories not sure I would cope with the additional stress. Things are stressful enough without that too....not coping with this at all ?
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You can take an online test and work out what points you could get and take it from there. Also there’s working tax credits if you work part time 16 hours. You should talk to a welfare rights officer or cab advisor.
  • Ann1
    Ann1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Sorry you lost your job due to fibromyalgia, Maybe go CAB and get further advice, 
  • ChelleBS
    Thank you all 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome @ChelleBS, I hope you are able to get something sorted. Please do keep the community updated and seek support and guidance if it is needed :)
    Hope you have a lovely day!
    Scope

• Lettybabe
    Lettybabe Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    @ChelleBS I have fibro also as well as a number of other medical conditions and I have found the best place to support people with disabilities is public sector. I used to work from EDF who weren't particularly supportive of my medical conditions but now I work for Devon and Cornwall police and they are such supportive employers plus they offer something called the two ticks scheme which allows those that are qualified for a job and that also suffer with a disability a guaranteed interview. With your experience in the MOD maybe look at applying for a job with your local police force? I hope this helps and if you need any advice on benefits you are eligible for or possible grants let me know as my job in EDF entailed assisting people with their finances and helping them claim what they are entitled to ?

Brightness