Dissertation research: The way we think about benefit payments and personal spending — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dissertation research: The way we think about benefit payments and personal spending

AdamCunliffe
AdamCunliffe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in Research and opportunities
I'm researching for my dissertation which broadly speaking looks to consider the ways we think about benefit payments and personal spending alongside considerations of stigmatisation.

If anyone is interested in a chat and helping be out, it'd much appreciated!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AdamCunliffe, hope you get the information that you are looking! If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to let me know! :)
    Scope

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    I have a lot of thoughts on this. At times i am able to clarify and elaborate i'd be happy to help.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
  • victoriafinney
    victoriafinney Community member Posts: 22 Connected
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @AdamCunliffe still happy to help out.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    guessing this may have ended now but happy to help if not, generally I think there is a view that people on benifits should not have nice things, go on holiday etc, playing devils advocate I do think in some cases the welfare system makes it attractive to not work, it also does the opposite and traps those who want to work a little but are unable to.
  • AdamCunliffe
    AdamCunliffe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Sorry I hadn't replied, I was away and focusing on other work - however, the dissertation is certainly not done! I can't dm anyone right now because I don't have the required rank, but I certainly am interested in hearing everyone's opinions, and I'll start private messaging as soon as I can!

For those who want a bit more detail (@Username_removed and others), in anthropological terms, my dissertation is on personhood, caregiving, and the relationship between the state and its citizens, and the responsibility that entails. In practical terms, I want to understand how people conceptualise the support (or lack thereof) they receive from the government and how people may then feel they are expected to act because they are receiving this form of income.

If I haven't explained myself properly let me know - just asking and answering questions will be so helpful in itself. Any comment is appreciated!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.