Is there treatment for Lupus? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there treatment for Lupus?

lyndylou63
lyndylou63 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
i already have polymyositis. I am now under investigation for lupus . My condition is not treatable. Is there treatment for lupus?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The best person to talk to is your GP or other care professional

there is an NHS site for more information

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lupus/

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lyndylou63, the link provided above (for the NHS page on lupus) is a good place for more information. However, as CR says, it's always best to seek advice from a medical professional. Although we cannot offer medical guidance or endorse any particular treatment, you may like to chat to @leena and @tina13 who have both discussed lupus on the community in the past.

Do let us know how you get on!
  • billhogy2
    billhogy2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I was diagnosed with lupus in 2005.it is not cureable but is controlled with medication which your gp etc will dissues with you
  • kaypink
    kaypink Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Most patients can be put on a couple of medications, although they do have side effects so dozage etc might have to be adjusted. These medications allow patients to live a nearly normal life span. 
    I however also have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome so am allergic to all medication so cannot have treatments. This has now brought me at 54 to being palliative. So please take your medications and live a long and fruitful life ?
  • OldMotherTucker
    OldMotherTucker Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I have had Lupus all my life although it wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30's nearly 20 years ago.

I have tried many different types of medications but the secret of managing this illness lies just as much in stress management and lifestyle choices. In a healthy person stress stimulates the immune system causing it to pump out antibodies. Although it's difficult to measure and identify stress, especially as we all lead such busy lives and have no control over outside influences, it is possible to reduce the effects of it.

Rest, diet and learning to say 'no' are your new best friends! Don't try to be a superhero about it. Be a bit more selfish - especially when it comes to your needs. Seek and accept help, and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day.

Best of luck x

• Phoenix2507
    Phoenix2507 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Stem cell transplant (HSCT) is becoming more widely recognised as a treatment for autoimmune conditions. Certainly worth researching for lupus. 

Brightness