pip waiting times for tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip waiting times for tribunal

alisha22
alisha22 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Does anyone know how long before you hear from the pip appeal tribunal. I sent my application and submissions in Feb 2018.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @alisha22, I think it depends where you are in the country, you could call the tribunal services and ask aprox time scales.

Waiting it difficult, hope it’s soon for you 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alisha22, unfortunately some people have been waiting up to a year for their tribunal date- there is a big backlog at the moment. I hope it is soon! I wish you the very best of luck and please do keep us updated!
    Scope

• alisha22
    Thanks chloe, I rang the tribunal courts today and was told I'm looking at November this year now, so sounds about right as I submitted my forms in February this year. Will keep you all posted.
  • alisha22
    Hello guys, well today I have received a letter from dwp regarding pip saying they have all the information they need regarding my award for pip. They said they will write to me when a decision is made. I thought I was waiting for a tribunal date so can anyone tell me if this has happened to anyone else and is it normal to make a decision without an face to face assessment as I originally thought.
  • alisha22
    sorry I forgot to mention I rang them up and was told sometimes they can make a decision like this.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear it is moving forward. I hope you get some answers soon!
    Scope

• alisha22
    Awwwww thanks chloe but I'm not so positive as I thought having a face to face would be good so I could get my point across etc.
  • alisha22
    Would like to hear from people who have had decision made without the tribunal hearing for pip.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes when a claimant is waiting for Tribunal hearing the DWP can change their minds and offer them a higher award. It's rare but it can and does happen. It sounds like this may happen to you. If they do offer you a higher award, if you're not happy with the offer then you can still refuse and continue with the Tribunal. If you are happy with it and decide to accept the offer then you'll need to contact the Tribunal and tell them.

Just so you know though that a Tribunal isn't like a face 2 face assessment. It's a room with a judge, DR and sometimes a DWP representative. Questions will be asked about how you're conditions affect you, so it's similar to an assessment but with a few more people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    alisha22 said:
     I thought having a face to face would be good so I could get my point across etc.
    You could sell that joke to any number of comedians!!.
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    alisha22 said:
    Would like to hear from people who have had decision made without the tribunal hearing for pip.
    I didn't have to actually attend any appeal hearing as only days before it was due to start the DWP decided to accept my evidence and offered me Enhanced Mobility & Care from the original zero points.
    They did the same two years later when I had a review.
    And again earlier this year when I had my third review - except this time I didn't bother to argue with them and closed my claim as I had had enough.
  • alisha22
    Thanks poppy I feel a little hopefull now. I have fresh evidence to send but unsure who to send it to. 
  • alisha22
    Can the dwp have more power than the tribunal courts then?  I assumed the courts made the decision not dwp who was the original people who denied me my pip award and went with the assessor's lies instead.
  • Yadnad
    alisha22 said:
    Can the dwp have more power than the tribunal courts then?  I assumed the courts made the decision not dwp who was the original people who denied me my pip award and went with the assessor's lies instead.
    If it actually gets to a tribunal hearing the court does over rule the DWP.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Well it's not about that if the DWP decide to offer you a higher award and you're happy with it then accept the offer, if not continue with the Tribunal. If the offer you an award then it just means that DWP have realised that an award should have been given in the first place.

I'd hold onto the evidence for now because if they offer you an award and you accept it the evidence won't be needed. If you continue with the Tribunal then you'll need to send it there to arrive no later than 10 days before the hearing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    If the offer you an award then it just means that DWP have realised that an award should have been given in the first place.  
    If that is the case why bother with a phone call, why not do the right thing and change the decision?
    It just doesn't make any sense unless, and as I have said before, it is a way that the DWP use to 'negotiate' a settlement irrespective of what you are genuinely entitled to.
  • alisha22
    I'm so sorry for the silly questions only I'm new to this. So if I don't accept the dwp offer, that is im offered one, can I continue with a tribunal hearing the. Say dwp say we sorry we still sticking with the zero points what then! !!
  • alisha22
    Also how long before I do get a decision as I only got the letter today from dwp saying they have all the information needed.
  • Lindaann
    Lindaann Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    My daughter has sent letters of support from her consultant and from her pain managmnt team so hopefully she wont have to go to court !  I have heard that some people have actually turned up at court only to be told that they have been awarded it so didnt need to go in ... why the hell treat vulnerable people like this ...
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    alisha22
    I went to see a benefit advisor this week about my PIP tribunal and he looked at my tribunal paperwork he said that I had a good case and he would be very surprised if I did not win. He also mentioned DWP contacting people before their tribunal with a new offer regarding their PIP, I asked him why are they doing this and he said that if you have a strong case and they believe that you are going win they would rather make you an offer instead of you going to a tribunal because it will save them money in the long run. What gets me is how vulnerable disabled people are being treated its disgusting what they are doing to people. I have been so stressed out with all this and I am now waiting for a tribunal date. Good luck with your PIP xx 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.