PIP assessments - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessments

13»

Comments

• keren1981
    keren1981 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi my claim went in on 24/1/2018 pip face to face was on 21/2/2018 in Brighton. 
    I felt that the lady I spoke to was understanding kind and done her job altho I've yet to receive her report.
    I'm 36 and had 2 strokes leaving me with left side weakness, post stroke pain syndrome, bad anxiety and depression. Dwp sent me a text 26/2/2018 saying they had received the pip report. So now it's a waiting game. The lady never asked me anything about about my anxiety or depression. I was so shattered when I got there as it was 9am a long drive and I was in pain so it was only the following day that this dawned on me. Her full focus was my left side weakness and my constant pain.. I've called today and asked for my report to be sent to me and I'm feeling very on edge about what will be said about me after reading all these horrible things that have been said about others. I didn't think to ask the lady anything and just wanted it to be over as I was in pain but she did say that she feels and is putting across that she feels I'm in titled to care and mobility but I have no idea what this realy means. I will let you all know when I find out. Good luck to every one..
  • lornatwin
    lornatwin Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Wishing you well Karen,hope it isn’t too long before you get the outcome fingers crossed for you xxx
  • Annieo
    Annieo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    My PIP assessment was 17th January after one was cancelled on the 3rd January as I was on the way to the bus stop. I have rheumatoid arthritis, hands that just don't work, and although flare-ups can leave me completely disabled, I have never claimed mobility as most of the time I can at least walk. 
    From Enhanced Daily living allowance, I've gone to nil points so have asked for Mandatory Reconsideration. I asked my GP to help by writing a report to which he replied that he can't unless the assessors ask for one. Rheumatology offered to help but they were told by my GP not to get involved. 
    The report that came back from DWP showing muscoskeletal exercises that I had performed proved I had the full range of movement. Problem being before I started them I asked the assessor whether I should take my wrist and finger splints off to which she answered NO, then said I had full range of movement in my wrists. I only did about 5 exercises, most of which could have been done even if I had been in a major flare-up, i.e. arms down beside me, then bring hands to shoulders. Even if I'd had frozen should at the time, I could have done that. She said I could crouch to the floor and get up unaided, As I never moved out of the chair, I'm not sure how she thought that could have happened. She told lies about the exercises and the rest of the report was based purely on that. As my friends were abroad at the time, I didn't take anyone with me, so now it's her word against mine. I will fight this, but don't hold out much hope until the appeal stage.

We are in a failing society as far as I'm concerned. I worked for 47 years, through all the bad times, but now my hands are so bad that no-one would take me on, and this is how you are treated.

As long as the politicians have their money invested in the various medical companies that are draining the NHS, we aren't going to get anywhere. And once the NHS is gone there is no going back, which the healthy and wealthy won't mind until they need it too. 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Well said. And i agree with what you daid about working all your life and being treated badly 
    We need a good MP to sort all this out.
    Whoez the MP for dizable people. 
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    I suffer with Fibromyalgia, Anxiety and Depression. Mine was a bad one.

The assessment seemed to go ok. I answered questions honestly, just as I had done on my form. I was honest about having a good day. I cried a lot answering questions.

The physical assessment was normal. A few things I didn't attempt and one caused pain. 

I received the decision 7 days later (it was dated 5 days after) ZERO points. On 3 occasions they used my appearance - I didn't look tired, anxious or under nourished. The physical assessment said that I was 100% fine and they used that to determine everything. 

I explained that 2 to 3 days a week were bad (housebound), 1 day a month was a good day (short drive to shops) and the rest of the days were average (ie moderate pain and fatigue as opposed to bad) 

They repeatedly used my 2-3 bad days as less that 50% of the time so it 'didn't count'. 

My evidence from rheumatology and mental health teams were photocopied then ignored.

My depression and anxiety hasn't been mentioned at all in the decision except to say I didn't 'look anxious'

I'm currently appealing.
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Tell them your experience.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/829/829.pdf 

All correspondence should be addressed to the Clerk of the Work and Pensions Committee, House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA. The telephone number for general enquiries is 020 7219 8976; the Committee’s email address is workpencom@parliament.uk.

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/41936/capita-complaint#eobwJUVvWRSMD6xf.99
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    It does seem too be those with mental health problems are being turned away .i thought this was meant too be changing?.it seems too be getting worse.i think everyone should appeal as I do believe ,well hope mental health will get agknowledged in the the right way.and they will have too back pay a lot of money .the p.ip system seems too be getting so bad for everyone.all we can do is keep reporting it ,people with mental health at getting it so bad ,leaving people on the verge of break downs and suicidel.mental health should not be dismissed!!!!!!!!
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    I had two completely different experiences.first one was a house visit she was fair emphthetic and my points were high on. Both and got a three year result.then about a year an ahalf later got forced intoo going too assessment on my own.was an emotional wreck ,they lowered my points a lot.should of appealed but Dident have it in me .niw I'm due in again it's looking like I will have too go in again.im expecting poor results as at same place .report was full of lies etc so insulting .i will appeal this time though for definite I'm it giving in again 
  • LynneR
    LynneR Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    @Rachel White I totally empathise.
     I walk with crutches due to failed spinal surgery and I recently lost my Senior Receptionist role, I had been there pre and post disability. I was devastated to say the least! This was due to absenteeism relating to my pain related to my disability. Would you believe the company I worked for was a large Occupational Health Company too?! I’ve always worked, whilst raising 3 daughters and now I have lost my job I am a different person. It gave me such a feeling of self worth and fulfilment. I have been for a few interviews but as soon as they see the crutches, the look on their faces says it all. 
    I wish you all the very best in your search for employment. Take care and hold on to your confidence!
    Best wishes Christina x

• LynneR
    LynneR Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    I was also sacked my my local authority who were very careful about telling me they had taken legal advice. I've had several operations, one after another in an attempt to reduce my pain levels but I ended up not well enough to do the job. That almost finished me,  I loved  and I was in pain wherever I was but at work it was easier to cope with the pain because I was doing something I enjoyed and I thought I was making a difference. Once that was taken away I became severely depressed.
  • ladyjax
    ladyjax Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I had my assessment two weeks ago, I had a text this morning to say they have received my assessment report and it will take another 4 weeks. I was forced to go to a centre by me because there were no home assessments available until September. My case had to be settled by then. I have a personality that i try to make.people laugh. It goes against me everytime.  I have to a tribunal twice in 2016 got to the court sat down in front of them. They started asking me questions and it was discovered they didnt have my medical records so it was adjourned. The next time the judge asked me how many friends i had on fb so i said about 200 she slated me for that, then because my hair and make up were done  she slated me for that too. I wasnt allowed to say that most of my friends are fellow sufferers or wasnt allowed to say my daughter did it for me. So surprisingly my pip was refused. Back again to tribunal when this report comes back.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Apologies for not responding to others comments but I do not have the patience at the moment to read everything.

I have just put my initial claim forms in and am waiting for a reply. I am terrified about having to see an assessor because nothing about me looks ill so I am sure it would be a problem. My only hope is that they accept my statements at face value as I have little supporting documentation (none actually) to prove my case.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I was assessed 'on the papers', despite the assessment contradicting what was in the papers on pretty much every point DWP said I couldn't appeal on the basis that the report was a complete fabrication because I'd been awarded enhanced rates of both benefits and you can't appeal the length of an award. I complained to the Independent Case Examiner instead but they couldn't deal with the quality of the report because I should have appealed ...
    Pretty much every section of the report is flawed - missing information, descriptor choice not matching the explanation, lack of justification and actually the descriptor choices being ludicrous - for example, the assessor says I can walk 30 - 40 metres aided. I use a powered wheelchair because I can only stand, still or otherwise, for about 3 minutes before my hips start to dislocate and I can't use crutches because my shoulders dislocate. All of that was in the papers, so I can only conclude she ticked boxes at random.
    The justification for limiting my award to 3 years despite me having a genetic and progressive condition? - 'A 3 year award is justified' - or in other words, because I said so.
    And yes, the review is approaching rapidly.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    axwy62 said:
    I was assessed 'on the papers', despite the assessment contradicting what was in the papers on pretty much every point DWP said I couldn't appeal on the basis that the report was a complete fabrication because I'd been awarded enhanced rates of both benefits and you can't appeal the length of an award. 
    I am reliably informed by a member on this site who is an experienced and senior WRO that you CAN appeal against the length of an award.
    You can also ask the DWP to indicate why they consider that a 3 year award is appropriate and what evidence have they used to substantiate their decision.
  • axwy62
    Yadnad said:
    axwy62 said:
    I was assessed 'on the papers', despite the assessment contradicting what was in the papers on pretty much every point DWP said I couldn't appeal on the basis that the report was a complete fabrication because I'd been awarded enhanced rates of both benefits and you can't appeal the length of an award. 
    I am reliably informed by a member on this site who is an experienced and senior WRO that you CAN appeal against the length of an award.
    You can also ask the DWP to indicate why they consider that a 3 year award is appropriate and what evidence have they used to substantiate their decision.
    It is unfortunately far too late to appeal now, my review is due at the end of this year and if they do this again, then I will be appealing. It's totally ridiculous to limit my award to 3 years when I already get enhanced for care and mobility and I'm only going to get worse, though I wouldn't put it past ATOS to perform one of their miracle cures again and decide I'll be fully recovered in 12 months ....
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2022
    axwy62 said:

It is unfortunately far too late to appeal now, my review is due at the end of this year and if they do this again, then I will be appealing. It's totally ridiculous to limit my award to 3 years when I already get enhanced for care and mobility and I'm only going to get worse, though I wouldn't put it past ATOS to perform one of their miracle cures again and decide I'll be fully recovered in 12 months ....
    I agree with you 100%. I don't understand it either. The same WRO (Mike [removed by moderator]) on here told me that the DWP award the length not based on how you are or how you will be but purely the minimum that they think that they can give and get away with it. I was shocked when told that but hey anything is possible with the DWP. He also stated that he always appeals against the term requesting the DWP to supply the evidence that they have used to substantiate a short award - he has never had an argument back from the DWP and they always give in offering a longer period!! Mind you he always makes the case for a long award in the first place on the PIP2 form and waits to see what the DWP offer.

The advantages of having a good WRO working with you all the way through.
  • axwy62
    edited August 2018
    I shall bear that in mind. 
    I used to be the 'go to' volunteer (ex-CAB) for DLA claims so I know it's as much about how you say it as what you say, but things have definitely got tougher since then.
  • FredL
    FredL Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have a question for admin please. I am aware there is a complaints procedure if your unhappy with your assessors conduct or feel they have not been wholly honest when you see a copy of your report but ..considering the government spent 100 million of taxpayers money last year on appeals 60%+ over turned...why aren't these assessors disciplined for the gross distress they cause for reasons unknown...targets??…& for this sheer waste in tax payers money. 
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    FredL said:
    I have a question for admin please. I am aware there is a complaints procedure if your unhappy with your assessors conduct or feel they have not been wholly honest when you see a copy of your report but ..considering the government spent 100 million of taxpayers money last year on appeals 60%+ over turned...why aren't these assessors disciplined for the gross distress they cause for reasons unknown...targets??…& for this sheer waste in tax payers money. 
    Because the reports are not factual statements. They are an opinion, an opinion probably just as valid as mine is. It's what the assessor thinks and sees as opposed to what they know to be factually correct.

So how can you force someone to not have an opinion? Don't employ them.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @FredL, and welcome! I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your query as we're not benefits advisors ourselves, but it's certainly an interesting point and something I'm sure many others will share your frustrations with.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.