What benefits may my son be entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits may my son be entitled to?

humbug
humbug Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi, I would like some advice on behalf of my son who has just been diagnosed with Autism at the age of 43. He has struggled most of his adult life with learning disabilities, because of this I have had to give him support to manage his everyday needs. This includes his finances, he has just been awarded pip& he also receives esa. I don't think he is getting all he is entitled to, I just wondered wether I could get some advice please on what benefits he may be entitled to. I am his full time carer I don't get paid for this as I get state pension. Thanks humbug.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @humbug,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

Have you tried our online benefits checker? This may give you an idea of what benefits your son may be entitled to.

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!
    Liam
  • humbug
    Hi, yes I have looked at that I answered all the questions & the amount it came back with was nothing like what he is receiving. All this is new to me, all I want is to make sure he is getting the right entitlement. Just wondered wether I should go to citizens advice?????
  • Liam_Alumni
    Hi @Humbug,

Yes, your local Citizens Advice will be able to tell you what benefits you may be entitled to. :) Hopefully they can help clarify things for you!
    Liam
  • humbug
    Thank you Liam, it's like being on a road with no directions on how to reach your destination. Because my son is unable to do this himself that I have to. This site has been like a life line thrown to us, it's mentioned things that I was in aware of. Thank you all who have contributed. ?
  • Liam_Alumni
    You're very welcome! We're happy to help! :) 
    Liam
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @humbug

Nice to meet you.

Try giving MENCAP helpline a ring tel: 0808 808 1111.

I've found them very helpful over the years.

Ask if they have a local support group and local Welfare Rights Officer.

Please let us know how you get on.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    More information would be needed to be able to advise you further. Does he live alone, or with a partner? Does he claim Contribution based ESA or Income related ESA? If you don't know then the easiest way to answer is by stating how much ESA he gets.

What PIP award does he have? Daily living, mobility?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • humbug
    Hi, he does live alone he gets Esa £113 weekly. He has just been awarded p.i.p enhanced. I'm his carer but don't get paid because I'm on state pension, not that it matters because I don't want paying. 
  • humbug
    Atlas 46, nice to meet you, Thank you so much for your advice?
  • atlas46
    Hi @humbug

Your most welcome.

Do you get Pension Credit?

If not try your local Age UK, for help to see if you have entitlement, there are thousand of people not claiming, that should.
  • humbug
    Hi atlas46, not claiming anything both my husband & myself are on pensions.
  • atlas46
    Hi

Well worth contacting your local Age UK, to check if you can get Pension Credit.

They receive grant funding, from government, because millions of pounds are unclaimed.

Let us know how you both get on, a married couple would get £250 per week, this includes the state pension in payment.

Then there is a savings allowance.

Good luck.
  • poppy123456
    humbug said:
    Hi, he does live alone he gets Esa £113 weekly. He has just been awarded p.i.p enhanced. I'm his carer but don't get paid because I'm on state pension, not that it matters because I don't want paying. 
    That doesn't seem enough of ESA to me. I'd advice him to ring ESA and ask to be re-assessed for the Income Related top up. Please be aware that by doing this if his area is a full Universal Credit area then he will be asked to apply for this because of the top up of Income Related.

If it is a full UC area then i'd advise him to get further advice from his local CAB.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • humbug
    Hi poppy123456, Thank you for your advice it's been very helpful. I will go to citizens advice bureau on Monday....now armed with information to ask about...I will let you know the outcome.....Thank you so much.?
  • humbug
    Hi poppy123456, just want to say Thank so much for your help, citizens advice bureau confirmed that my son should be getting more benefits so the DWP are sending the necessary forms out. Can't thank you enough,.?
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome @humbug always happy to help! :) 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    atlas46 said:
    Hi

Well worth contacting your local Age UK, to check if you can get Pension Credit.

They receive grant funding, from government, because millions of pounds are unclaimed.

Let us know how you both get on, a married couple would get £250 per week, this includes the state pension in payment.

Then there is a savings allowance.

Good luck.
    That is a minimum. Other premiums could well be added to it, Carers premium if they are entitled but don't receive it, disability premium if they are in receipt of PIP or AA.

For a couple both receiving the lowest rate of AA and each claims to care for each other for 35 hours a week, then Pension Credit would top up their existing income excluding any disability benefits to just over £500 a week plus their disability benefits.

As you say there are £millions sitting there every year for Pension Credit claimants that people just don't bother putting in a claim for. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.