Hi, I'm Nicola the Speech and language advisor, you can ask me questions today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Nicola the Speech and language advisor, you can ask me questions today

NicolaLatheySLT
NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hello everyone, my name is Nicola. I am a children’s speech and language therapist, and deal with a range of issues from simple lisps to complex needs.

I am head of The Owl Centre, which provides multidisciplinary therapy services for children across 19 counties in England and South Wales.

If you need information and support on speech and language development, social communication issues, or behavioural difficulties, just ask me a question and I’d be very happy to help.
Nicola Lathey
Speech And Language Advisor
Phone: 01242 571883
Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
theowltherapycentre.co.uk

Comments

• debsh79
    debsh79 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi my son is autistic and classed as non verbal. He says some words sometimes and has progressed with sounds he makes. He understands just about everything is great with pec that were specially made but he is not so interested at school. I don't think they are trying with him and his pecs book at school is pretty basic compared to at home. How can I get the school speech and language to get him to the level he is at home when they don't believe he is capable. What can I do to help him further with his speech so he feels he can us it more?
  • Ourania
    Ourania Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    I have a son who will be 3 next month,at the moment the diagnosis we have is sociocommunication difficulties and we are looking further if he is autistic as it runs ib the family. At the momwnt he is not talking words only make and somwtimes copy sounds. His understanding is very good,he follows simpy instructions i give him etc How can i help him <unblock> his talking i know its there cz when we talk to him he understand us he is looking to us in the eyes and reacts with smile or jumping up and down or cry and shout depends what he is feeling . How do u help ur non verbal child to express his feeling and needs? Also potry training is a difficult one if you could give us some advice. Thank you in advance and my apologies for the wrong post.
  • sakinah
    sakinah Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    HI

I HAVE A SEVERE HEARING DISORDER AND ALL MY LIFE I HAVE WANTED TO LEARN SIGN LANGUAGE BUT SADLY HAS PASSED ME BY AND NOW REACHED 50. IS THERE ANY WAY YOU COULD HELP ME FIND A FREE SIGN LANGUAGE CLASS I CANT DO ONLINE AS I CANT HEAR THEM SADLY, I LIVE IN THE LEWISHAM AND GREENWICH SURROUNDING BOROUGHS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, LOOK FORWARD TO ANY FEEDBACKS FROM ANYONE IN THE KNOW X

REDSAPPHIRE (SAKINAH) X <3
  • jasmineirani
    jasmineirani Scope Volunteer Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Good morning. You could try youtube. They have got a whole load of videos on there that you can have a look at. I am finding it very useful at the moment because I haven't got better things to be getting on with. Take care of yourself and try not to panic. 
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    Hi @NicolaLatheySLT;  I'd like to ask a question regarding myself if possible, I'm 41yo and have Hypermobility Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

I've been doing a few voice or zoom calls over the last week and noticed I am starting to trip over my words or lose my thread and cannot think of the right words so I have to stop and try to explain around it until I can remember it or explain what it should be in a way the other person can understand what I mean.

Is this something you may be able to offer some advice on, please?
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited March 2021
    Hi @NicolaLatheySLT;  I'd like to ask a question regarding myself if possible, I'm 41yo and have Hypermobility Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

I've been doing a few voice or zoom calls over the last week and noticed I am starting to trip over my words or lose my thread and cannot think of the right words so I have to stop and try to explain around it until I can remember it or explain what it should be in a way the other person can understand what I mean.

Is this something you may be able to offer some advice on, please?
    This can be part of the Temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder, the brain having problems processing what the ears hear, 
    Speech is a sound based communication system, and language is the community based structure of sound based communication.
    Auditory memory is about remembering the meaning of the sounds you hear, which includes the sounds of speech.
    Having word recall problems is part of auditory processing disorder, not being able to remember the sounds of th4 words you want to use to explain a topic. Having problems remembering and using the correct terminology. 
    I have APD, and was the first adult in the UK to be diagnosed as having APD back in 2003, so that I could set up and run a support organisation for those who have APD to help the UK Medical Research Council gain government funding for a 5 year research program 2004-2009 at Nottingham University.
    This may explain the issues you are experiencing.
    Have a look at The Four Types of Auditory Processing Disorder 

Brightness