Need some advice about national insurance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need some advice about national insurance

Jezzajovi
Jezzajovi Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi all need some advice for my partner. Quick background  she suffers from uncontrolled epilepsy unable to work. Currently receiving pip for mobility and as you can guess no points for every other categories but that's another can of worms. I work full-time + more even still leaving us scraping the barral at the end of every month.  My work stops her from getting any money from other kinds of benefits. My biggest concern is that she hasn't had any NI stamp paid for at least 2 years is there anything to claim to atleast pay it. I've checked out national insurance credits bit from what I'm seeing you need to have children or be claiming ESA or job seekers both of which is impossible because of my work. 
Must be alot off people in this kind of situation. Not knowing  any advice help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    This may help. Click on the links within the link for further info.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jezzajovi, and welcome! Do have a look at the link above, and feel free to come back to us with any questions.
  • Jezzajovi
    Hi sorry late reply. I have looked at it the only way we might get some more information is going back to the job centre as she meets requirments for other benefits but can't claim because of my work. hope they don't fob us off again chasing things she can't claim. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Just in case it's any further help, you may like to have a look at this list of extra support and help PIP entitles you to. I know it doesn't make up for missing vital payments, but there still might be some worthwhile things to look into!
  • Jezzajovi
    Thanks for your help shall post results. 
  • Jezzajovi
    Thanks for your help shall post results. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Going back a few years, around 2008, I was on Incapacity Benefit (ESA now), because I had ill health pension, IB was not in pay. But I did get NI credits.

I think this might apply, in that you claim ESA, none in pay, but you get NI credit.

Another thing to raise, a new state pension came in 2016, you only need 30 years NI, to get £164 per week. Prior to 2016, you had to have 40 years NI to get full pension.

Hope this helps and I will check about ESA & NI credits.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Jezzajovi said:
    Hi sorry late reply. I have looked at it the only way we might get some more information is going back to the job centre as she meets requirments for other benefits but can't claim because of my work. hope they don't fob us off again chasing things she can't claim. 
    Yes she can claim ESA and be paid NI credits only, providing your area isn't a full Universal Credit area. If it is then you can't claim ESA it will have to be UC.

If your area isn't a full UC area then to be able to claim ESA NI credits only the same rules apply if you were receiving payment. A fit note it required from your GP and eventually she'll need to attend a face 2 face assessment. Evidence will also be needed to support her claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jezzajovi
    Thanks all shall check it out after work ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.