Tribunal advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal advice

Paddy74
Paddy74 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Got a pip tribunal Friday . ItsI for ADHD anxiety . I was only awarded 2 points . Spoke to a charity they aearawa me up to 14 any tips for tribunal welcome 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Paddy74, I hope people in the community can help with this :)
    Scope

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The main things are to remain calm and stick to the truth. Having a list of your disputed point scores will be the best way and you can use it as a reminder to make sure you cover all the relevant points.

Good luck and try not to worry.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Just tell them how it is.
  • Paddy74
    Easier said then done . Hopefully the wife will get anything I miss 
  • Paddy74
    To have a list to follow and hopefully the wife can pick up what I miss it's all set up to catch people out its just a minefield . Costing the public more to try and prove sick people aren't sick . Wouldn't mind I've worked and paid in all my life 
  • Yadnad
    Paddy74 said:
    . Wouldn't mind I've worked and paid in all my life 
    And how does that relate to claiming a sickness or disability based benefit?
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    I’m sure I’ve read elsewhere the person you take without isn’t meant to speak unless they’re a rep, could be wrong?

are you clear on how your condition affects your life and what you can do in line with the descriptors? Ie cooking, dressing etc? Not hd a tribunal but that seems to be the focus of PIP so will help to have that clear in your mind.
  • Paddy74
    Yep a charity helped me out with this . It just seems such a minefield . I wasn't saying I'm entitled anymore or less . Just felt if I've never asked for help and paid in their should be some sort of review . If I was back at home in Ireland that's the way it works . Don't mean to offend but my filter isn't the greatest 
  • Paddy74
    They say my wife can speak at the end if she feels I've missed stuff 
  • Pin
    Pip is not linked to your NI contributions. 
  • Paddy74
    I know think it should be . Works at home very well 
  • Pin
    It’s a disability benefit. What about people who have never been able to work because of illness/disability and can’t earn their NI credits? Or young people and children? 

• Paddy74
    I fully agree they deserve it hands down within saying . I do believe if you work and need help you should have it in the pot . If that makes sense 
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    Paddy74 said:
    . Just felt if I've never asked for help and paid in their should be some sort of review . eatest 
    It doesn't work that way. You need not have paid any tax, national insurance, council tax etc to be entitled to PIP or ESA.
    In this country and claiming the right benefits you can have a fairly good lifestyle whether you have worked every hour god sent or never bothered about working at all.
  • Paddy74
    I know it doesn't work that way but I do feel it's the system in Ireland. I do think everyone has a right and should get . I could work here all my life kick it at 66 nobody sees it bar the government 
  • Pin
    But Ireland doesn’t have a free at the point of access NHS does it? You can’t have everything....
  • Paddy74
    This is slightly true if you can afford you pay but if not you don't . Yes we can't have everything but I feel the system here is against us but I'm not in Ireland I'm here so it's put up or shut eh . Anyway gone off point need help getting though this tribunal . So any more tips very welcome . Thanks so far if anything took my mind off it for a bit gonna be a long few days 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You should find that the tribunal panel is better than what’s come before as they are independent. I prepared the points I wanted to get across in advance but on the day I ended up just answering questions. I missed a few bits but covered most of it. I went with a welfare rights person and they were allowed to speak at the end. They filled in some bits I had missed. It was quite intense but nothing like the assessment from atos as I expected them to lie which they did. Also you may get a decision on the day which is amazing. You don’t need to wait days. Good luck
  • Paddy74
    Fingers crossed then ya. Only gave me 2 points . Very confused as an as an assistant from the same company at work gave me a 14 point score and advised me to go for pip ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,351 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless your wife is your appointee then she won't be able to speak on your behalf, You will have to answer all the questions. Sometimes at the end they may ask your wife some questions but this doesn't always happen. It's your responsibility to tell them in your own words how your conditions affect you daily.

A decision may also not be possible on the day, if this is the case then they will write to you within a few days with a decision. Good luck and i hope it goes in your favour.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.