Hearing Operation- Myringotomy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing Operation- Myringotomy

Jbertie
Jbertie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2018 in Sensory impairments
Hi,

I currently am “partially deaf” in my right ear to be straight and frank. I am 19 years of age and in all good health. I have been consulted by my local ENT,(not sure if that’s the correct name), did numerous tests and so fort. He has disclosed to me that we should perform a myringotomy to improve hearing in my right affected ear. The explanation and process seems to be very sound proof and I’m not concerned in any way. However, I am not quick to approve one persons opinion hence I have written here. My question is, theoretically would a myringotomy improve hearing? And in your experience in the field of audiology, would it work. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jbertie
    Welcome to the community, there is some information here about myringotomy.
    It says: 
    A myringotomy is used to relieve the symptoms caused by any one of a number of different conditions. Symptoms may include hearing loss, pain, pressure in the ear and impaired balance.

During a myringotomy, a tiny incision is made in the eardrum to allow direct access to the middle ear space. At this point the middle ear can be drained of any fluid or pus to relieve pressure. If required, this fluid can be sent for analysis to diagnose the cause of any infection.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi @Jbertie 

Without seeing all your test results it's not possible to say whether a myringotomy will solve the problem or not. But if the hearing loss in your right ear is caused solely by a build up of fluid behind the eardrum, then your ENT consultant will suck out the fluid during the operation and you should find your hearing improves immediately. 

Sometimes a myringotomy is done to help relieve pressure build up in the ear and in this case the change in hearing afterwards is less predictable and sometimes doesn't improve as much as the patient would like. 

I hope that helps together with the information your ENT doctor gave you about the cause of your hearing loss. 

Vicki
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Hi there. 

Have bilateral hearing losses, progressive and Menieres Disease in L ear and Vestibular Neuritis auto immune issues in R , and wearing hearing aids with Tinnitus  maskers, balance, vertigo, anxiety and depression because of it all, this is very interesting! 

My ENT had discussed Gentimycin steroid injections previously into my ear drums to aliviate spins and drop attacks, but as things are eased up due to medications increased X 2  recently, ImI coming okish, some days. ApoareAppa the Gentimycin will eventually wreck whatsw left of my hearing and possible balance, hopefully a way of. XX 

Good luck with your procedure, @Jbertie and thank you to @Sam_Scope and @VickiKirwin for the great information. XX Following with interest. 

XX P X 

Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 

Brightness