Limited capabilty to work and work related activity — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Limited capabilty to work and work related activity

Springtime18
Springtime18 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
edited August 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I've been ill for the last year and have had to claim universal credit, I've just been awarded the limited capability and work related activity, which I'm obviously grateful as it's an extra £328.28 a month, however I do want to work but realistically I would only be able to work part time, I'm hoping to do some work from home in the future, my question is how long and how much can I earn, or will this element be taken off of me? I also get PIP enhanced  mobility and living. Not sure if this makes a difference in any way. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Springtime18, I personally don't know much about this topic but here is what I have found on the internet:
    When you start work, the amount of Universal Credit you get will gradually reduce as you earn more. But unlike Jobseeker’s Allowance, your payment won’t stop just because you work more than 16 hours a week.
    (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances)

I am sure the community will be able to help with this further! Let me know if there is anything else that I can do :)
    Scope

• Springtime18
    I'm a bit confused with the limited capabilty element, does that get reduced, 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I personally do not deal in benefits so am unsure of this @BenefitsTrainingCo
    may be able to help. It may also be worth calling the helpline on: 0808 800 3333. Hope this helps :smile:
    Scope

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Springtime18

There is nothing to say that you cannot work and claim UC (including the LCWRA).  

When you have been assessed as having LCWRA then you will also be placed in the no-work requirement group.  This means that there will be no requirement on you to look for work, but it does not stop you from looking for work.  It just means that a work coach will not expect you to look for work and then sanction you if you fail to do this. 

If you did find work then any wage may reduce the amount of  Universal Credit entitlement you receive. There is a certain amount of your wage that is ignored which is (at the moment) £198 a month if you receive help with payments of your rent/mortgage and £409 if you do not receive help with your rent/mortgage. 

In addition when being reassessed for the LCWRA you will also have to show that you still meet the test to continue to claim the LCWRA despite working. 

Please post again if you have any further queries

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• Springtime18
    Thanks for this, how can I show that I still meet the test, as I am considering working part time from home
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    You won't have to do that until you're next re-assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • starrjay1
    starrjay1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi there springtime18,
    This is not a reply to your question but I was wondering if you could help me with a question as I’m trying to find someone on here that’s been accepted for limited capability for work related activities. I have recently been accepted for this benefit due to my disability and have been told I have to wait 3 weeks til I get paid it. Do you know if you get back pay the 3 months you have to wait. 
    Thankyou 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    starrjay1 said:
    Hi there springtime18,
    This is not a reply to your question but I was wondering if you could help me with a question as I’m trying to find someone on here that’s been accepted for limited capability for work related activities. I have recently been accepted for this benefit due to my disability and have been told I have to wait 3 weeks til I get paid it. Do you know if you get back pay the 3 months you have to wait. 
    Thankyou 
    Hi,
    Limited capability for work related activity isn't payable for the first 3 months of your claim. It's the same as claiming ESA and being in the Support Group, ESA assessment rate is for the first 13 weeks. Support Group payment is paid from week 14 of the ESA claim. See link and scroll down to waiting period.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.