Cutting sugar from my diet — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cutting sugar from my diet

Geoark
Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2018 in Coffee lounge

Since 2015 controlling my weight has been an uphill struggle. We have already made a lot of changes to how we prepare food, got rid of a lot of the precooked meals etc. Thursday I decided it was time to cut out as much sugar from my diet as possible. It was not until then I realised how much sugar was still in my diet, easily 20 teaspoons a day in coffee alone.

Yesterday I felt like hell, ached all over and a nasty headache. Today I feel a bit better but cannot get rid of the headache. I have been tempted to add a little sugar to a coffee to reduce things a little but decided to see it out.

As an individual I stood alone.
As a member of a group I did things.
As part of a community I helped to create change!

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi@Geoark, I cut out all white sugar and fruit 2 months ago to get rid of a candida problem. I have been through a bad time feeling ill with flu like symptoms but was determined to keep going as before I started I was going downhill with pain and joint problems, many other symptoms and feeling so ill anyway so it was no different. What has kept me going is the wish to see my son get married next year and not be in a wheelchair. I really believe from what is happening to me that sugar causes more damage than people realize. I recommend you look at using some of the natural sugar substitutes like Stevia or even Coconut Palm sugar to wean you off white sugar. Read about candida as this may be connected to your sweet tooth and finding it hard to lose weight and will also explain your symptoms and help you deal with them. Good Luck...  
  • Geoark

Thank you @wildlife

Sugar is very addictive to the body, and the symptoms are in line with going from a high usage to cutting most of it out. I also need to cut my coffee consumption, as this is the only fluid I tend to drink.

I knew in theory this would happen, just did not expect it to be so bad.

• trace1024
    trace1024 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I've got out sugar due to fibromyalgia as this can make it worse first week is a,ways the worst, look for hidden sugars, your body is going through a detox which is why you feel rough with the headache if u stick to it it will soon go...there's lots of advice on the internet to help...whatcha out for fruit as though natural sugars still is sugar, look for apples or blackberry fruit rather than more exotic as these have more sugar x 
  • Geoark

Thank you @trace1024

I will have a look around the internet, as I've been wondering how best to sweeten my porridge in the mornings. Flipping disgusting at the moment. I was thinking of using an alternative like honey or maple syrup but suspect these are probably sugars in a different guise.

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Geoark - have you tried cinnamon on your porridge?  :)
  • Geoark

Blue Frog, no but that is a brilliant idea, thank you.

• trace1024
    I use cinnamon as well....however after u have given sugar up for a month or so, everything tastes better, change she your taste buds.....don't use honey etc as this is still sugar and beware of artificial sweeteners as they can be just as bad, especially with health issues.  I'll look for a good link for u 
  • trace1024
    https://iquitsugar.com/recipe/ Sara Wilson, I used her and bought books to help me cut the addiction as it is an addiction...the only way I can keep to it is to know how adverse are the effects on my health.....it's difficult to do, however u feel so much better without it, and loose weight x I'm vegan and GF as well as due to health I was dairy and gluten intolerant...find this helps with pain levels.  
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Could you try adding some fruit or dried fruit to your porridge? 

Theres lots of info about sugar and your diet on the NHS website and they also have a Sugar Smart app that might help you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Good idea @Sam_Scope
    blueberries are gorgeous with porridge. We buy the frozen ones they are a lot cheaper 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Blackberry season starts in June! I pick tons from local woodlands and freeze them. Im a big fan of free stuff and they are great in porridge!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Lilacj
    Lilacj Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    My recent medication for anxiety has given me more of a sweet tooth and I am finding it more difficult to cut out sugar. I even buy chocolate bars with my grocery delivery and eat them when my husband is at work.
  • johnny100
    johnny100 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    I only use Canderel or other sweeting aid,that does me fine,If I use ordainary sugars I go a bit hypo then tend to go sleepy,due to being diabetic.I have coffee with no sugar ,not nice at first but you soon get used to it,I use canderel in cooking etc and it tastes OK and only use a little
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Geoark
    Hi @debbiedo49

I found silverspoon granulated sweetner is a good substitute for sugar in hot foods and drinks, though it is expensive. Canderel works well for me in cereals.

When I have porridge I do tend to use a mix of berries and these work really well.

About half my coffees are now without any sweetner or with a little cinnamon. I have also started drinking water, still not as much as I should but getting there.

Weight is slowly comming off, but mylife style is far too sedate, so now started to use the outdoor gym on the estate. Only once a week at the moment but hoping to find the time to up this.

Thank you for asking

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @Geoark good luck, there are so many natural sugars in food it will be difficult, I do not have sugar in tea or coffee, I dont drink juices, my sugars come from my food. Not just fruit but veg as well and I find if I need a little boost I pick beetroot or carrots or tomatoes, there are many more high in sugars squash, onions, peas they can all help if you are finding you need a little extra but trying to keep it low at the same time.

If you find you are struggling with food it may be an idea to get back to a more natural diet with what is in season for where you live, this site will give you an idea of what is in season and it might encourage you to go out and find it, raising your activity levels and maybe gain a new interest.  http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I would love to lick sugar in my tea as I drink a lot of it. I use mainly half spoonful by silver spoon but I am not sure it makes much difference. It is expensive but I am borderline diabetic so I need to get better at this, I have a poor appetite and I don’t usually eat breakfast or food before going out as my IBS and anxiety work against it. I may have a banana. I drink lots of tea almost like a meal replacement but not good fuel for the body. When I get home I’m ravenous and exhausted. So I drink more tea with half spoon sugar and eat something quick. I don’t eat a lot of fruit or veg due to my IBS and enjoy plain food . I would rather have sugar from fruit than sugar in my tea ultimately as it’s more healthy. I lack willpower as I’m a slave to pain management and my conditions. I also comfort eat. Any advice on this would be great. 
  • Geoark
    Hi @fishingmum

some great ideas thank you. I have decided that I'm definately going ahead and buying a couple of fruit trees for the back balcony this year. Just trying to work out what. They are minarettes, you can see samples at https://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_43

I am thinking of pears and cherries at the moment. I have also seen these planted with strawberries succesfully.

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @Geoark thats a great idea for the mini trees, but remember their fruiting time is only once and they do not provide a lot of fruit. If you get strawberries, getting a couple of different kinds so you can have earlies and late producing plants so you have a longer eating time. Also with the strawberries they do not need much space, you can tier them so you can have more just growing up the way.

@debbiedo49 what are your symptoms for IBS, my mum used to get constipation but my grandmother used to get diarrhea, so both had different needs from their diet. My grandmother used to use nuts as it made her less likely to have problems and gave a good energy boost, my mum would use oranges. It all depends on what is happening and what symptoms you are trying to stop, time of the day as well as you would want more energy day time and less in the evening, but caffeine will not help if you are having it later in the day. Maybe replace later cups of tea with a cup of soup, so less caffeine and more fibre.
    I really think a nutritionalist would be of benefit to you, between your IBS, borderline diabetes and pain levels.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have the opposite problem but it has come about partly because I cannot use sweeteners without getting headaches. Everything now uses Aspartame, which my body has a dislike to. Due to my not being able to prepare meals properly I have increased my usage of white sugar in order to have some energy to keep going and to prevent losing weight too fast, lol! Where it is optional I use 2 or more very large heaped teaspoons full in coffee and on cereal but then, as I said, it's really to replace meals. Before anyone says so , yes, I do know it isn't good for me but I simply cannot prepare meals with any regularity.

A good friend of mine, years ago, switched form white sugar to fruit sugar (fructose) as it is supposed to be far less fattening. However, whichever route people go they should reduce rather than stop using anything they take too much of as the body can get very addicted to many chemicals.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness