Hot when it's cold — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hot when it's cold

Bindy
Bindy Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi it's my first time on any forum so here goes I suffer from over heating it's crazy everyone around me has jumpers on and I'm in a vest top sweating it's terribly embarrassing having to havin to carry a face cloth around wherever I go is this the fibromyalgia ? And I am after a year and a half still waiting for my doctor to confirm that it is fibromyalgia that I have got ?

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bindy, I’m the same, worse at night though.

I don’t have fibromyalgia I think it might be menopausal with me, or my medication ?

I bought a cool gel pillow, doesn’t seem to help and have a towel next to my bed but nothing seems to help.
  • Bindy
    Hi Susan48 I have been going through the menopause but I'm also on H R T have been for a few years now and it only been in the last six months or so that this over heating has been a problem it could be my meds as I am taking a lot of different ones I may see my gp for a review of my meds thanks for the idea I hope you find a way to make it easier for you I spend my life with the fan on and half dressed lol
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @Bindy the menopause can cause severe over heating, I knew one lady who frequently sat with her freezer door open, my mum in the middle of winter would sit on the back door step, I would speak to your doctor. My friend who has fibromyalgia has severe pain and I have never heard her complain about over heating except when pain levels are very high, so get back to the doctor and see if any of the medication could be causing the symptoms, but it is more than likely the menopause if you are currently going through that.
    I recommend a visit to the artic lol
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have had such issues myself in the last few months, @Bindy . I guess part of it is from the extra high temperatures we have had lately but the prolific sweating is too regular for that really. I am certain that it is a side-effect from my main medication (Fentanyl) since they refused to take it higher. It's mostly, in my case, part of withdrawal which I now get when the medication cannot keep up with my activities (such as they are). In the last few weeks I have been getting hot and cold sweats 2 days out of every 3. As I change my patches every 3 days and the first day is always void of the sweating, I m certain that I know the reason. However, less easy to understand is the same reaction to eating or drinking something hot which almost always pushes me into prolific sweating. Not so sure why my body no longer copes with an influx of something hot, although I haven't had the energy yet to research it properly.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Bindy
    Thank you Fishingmum and Topkitten and Susan48 the more I've been thinking about it the more I believe it is my meds I managed to get an appointment (wow) and my doctor has upped my HRT and I will have to go back in 3weeks time fingers crossed that this is the solution and this will help as it is so uncomfortable and embarrassing my hair looks great for 10 minutes and then yuck soaking wet same with makeup and damp clothing I hate it and sympathise with anyone else who suffers from this ? thanks again for all your help
  • Bindy
    I did go back to my GP and he has doubled my HRT and a week on I am feeling a little bit better but I'm not sure if it's the change in weather or the meds ? I will be going back to the doctor's in a week's time hopefully it was the HRT and the sweats will be much reduced and I won't wake up feeling like I'm being drowned in boiling water in the middle of the night if anyone else has been feeling this way I would strongly recommend that you talk to your GP 
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    glad too hear you are having some relief, but certainly go back to your gp if things get worse. take care
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I have fibromyalgia and anxiety and I overheat. I dont know which is causing it but you learn to live with it. Its awful though.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Hi @Bindy,

How are you getting on? Did you meet with your doctor again?
    Liam

Brightness