Non award of mobility component on receipt of PIP decision. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non award of mobility component on receipt of PIP decision.

DNA3721
DNA3721 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I had my PIP decision recently and they took away the former low rate mobility component of my DLA. I had asked at the interview for more help as my conditions have worsened since last being assessed. I have to engage in therapy on a daily basis and can't afford to travel to them. My understanding is I can appeal but I am worried sick that if I do so I will upset PIP and they will take away my daily living component as well which would make me homeless, Please advise, many thanks.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It is rare for PIP to be lowered or removed at either MR or tribunal level.  If you are confident that there would be no excuse to remove your current award, then it's worth appealing.  Only 20% of MRs win but 71% of tribunal appeals do.  Tribunal increased my award from standard to enhanced both components.

Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar, or welfare rights.  Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.

advice now.org.uk/pip-tool will generate an MR application letter.

• DNA3721
    DNA3721 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Matilda said:
    It is rare for PIP to be lowered or removed at either MR or tribunal level.  If you are confident that there would be no excuse to remove your current award, then it's worth appealing.  Only 20% of MRs win but 71% of tribunal appeals do.  Tribunal increased my award from standard to enhanced both components.

Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar, or welfare rights.  Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.

advice now.org.uk/pip-tool will generate an MR application letter.

Thank you Matilda, your information is very helpful, kind regards.
  • Matilda
  • marie21
    marie21 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    DNA3721 said:
    Hi, I had my PIP decision recently and they took away the former low rate mobility component of my DLA. I had asked at the interview for more help as my conditions have worsened since last being assessed. I have to engage in therapy on a daily basis and can't afford to travel to them. My understanding is I can appeal but I am worried sick that if I do so I will upset PIP and they will take away my daily living component as well which would make me homeless, Please advise, many thanks.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Hi DNA3721,

You need to look at the two mobility descriptors and work out how many points you think you should have scored. 
    Engaging with therapy daily and not being able to pay to get there doesn't apply when looking at the mobility descriptors. 
    Please have a look at this link, and in particular at the last two descriptors as these are the mobility ones. It may help you with your argument:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

In my experience asking for a MR or an appeal rarely results in loss of benefit already awarded, but it's a risk that you need to understand just in case you do end up being one of the unlucky ones.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• CHAT_chat2us
    CHAT_chat2us Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I'm just thinking about your help getting to appointments. Even if you are not on benefits Jobseekers, unemployment or housing benefits you can still ask the NHS for help towards transport;if you need to use public transport or in some cases taxis depending on your disability and earnings. Phone 0300 1112131 and ask for a healthcare refund form. Hc(5t) explain you are on a low income and your medical needs i.e. hospital appointments and medication costs. They may allow you to claim your costs back. They may ask you to get a letter from your GP to confirm, it would be a good idea to get this. Even if they allow  HC2/3 for a year this could help you while you wait for your results,
  • Matilda
    There is also hospital transport.  The hospital sends round a small ambulance to pick up a few patients.  I think this is a free service.  Ask the clinics you attend how you apply for hospital transport.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hospital transport isn't available in all areas and if it is not everyone will be eligible for this service.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    @DNA3721

Hospital transport is available in many areas and many people are eligible.  You can apply to see if you are eligible.  Ask your clinics how you apply.  You have nothing to lose by applying.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to speak to your GP or the health care professional who referred you to the hospital. All details in this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CHAT_chat2us
    CHAT_chat2us Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    edited August 2018
    Having worked in our local hospitals. You need your GP to arrange hospital transport for your first visit (or follow-ups now), after that the hospital will arrange your transport. Please be aware you may need to sit around for an hour or two for your transport to pick you up but especially if you are having regular appointments this is a good way to get to and forth from them. Speak to your GP or who referred you, this covers Dentists and other departments too at local hospitals
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Matilda said:
    There is also hospital transport.  The hospital sends round a small ambulance to pick up a few patients.  I think this is a free service.  Ask the clinics you attend how you apply for hospital transport.
    Think yourself lucky that you don't live in Kent. That particular service is carried out by G4S. Need I say any more?

As an example last winter the hospital (Wm Harvey in Ashford) discharged a vulnerable young lad from hospital at 2am. He lived miles away (14) and had very little in clothing and no money. He was refused transport to get him home as he was said to be fit & young and could walk. Halfway home the police pulled up at the side of him and asked him what he was doing that time in the morning with little clothing. He explained his situation whereupon the police took him the last 8 miles to his home.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.