Three years since my husband went deaf in one ear but no improvements — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Three years since my husband went deaf in one ear but no improvements

Emerald48
Emerald48 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2018 in Sensory impairments
I am writing about my husband who two years ago had a very bad case of laberinthytis , which has left him totally deaf in one ear 
with balance issues making him unstable on his feet 
and some days has terrible  catchup and nausea.     It is nearly three years now and know sign of improvement, 
this limits him wanting to go out and doing what he loved making music 
and painting  when he has to concentrate on anything for more than 20 minuets it makes his head go haywire 
he has had exercises to perform from physiotherapist which have made no difference 
does anyone else on here have a similar problem 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Emerald48

Welcome to the community!

I'm deaf in both ears and have balance issues too. My balance used to be horrendous but with intensive physio it has really helped. 

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Emerald48
    Thanks he he did stop doing the exercises at one point because he felt they were not doing anything for him
    but I have encouraged him to start again.

• Ami2301
    I've been having physio everyday for the past 5 months and it is incredibly hard to keep motivated. I'm currently learning to walk again but my balance has improved so much. I lost count how many times I wanted to give up because I couldn't see myself progressing. At first I couldn't even sit up without at least three people holding me...now I can sit up and even sit on the edge of my bed or chair without losing my balance. Hand on heart it is worth it in the end :)

It was frustrating for my family as they kept trying to encourage me and I just kept pushing it aside. It will take a while but he will get there :)

Please keep us updated on his progress

Ami :)
  • Emerald48
    Yes will do thanks
  • Ami2301
    If you ever need to let of frustration we are here for you :)
  • Emerald48
    Thank you very much.   Glad you are progressing 
  • Ami2301
    Thank you :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Emerald48 and a very warm welcome to the community. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. I hope you find the community a supportive environment to give and receive advice. I hope the community are able to offer more advice to you about your husband. If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• Emerald48
    Thank you very much for your welcome
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Emerald48

A very warm welcome.

I am sad to learn about your husband problems of hearing loss and balance issues.

I have the exact same issues.

If I can give you a brief outline about my history.

I have suffered with neck and back problems for the last 15 years. Around 8 years ago, I started to stumble and kept falling over. My GP referred me to an ENT Consultant, who prescribed medication and ordered hearing tests.

To my shock, I had hearing loss in both ears and now have hearing aids.

The medication sent me into a zombie state, so I request a second opinion from another ENT. Over the next two years, I saw two more Consultants, had several MRI scans, all to no avail.

What I have learned, is you have to have complete control of my balance problems.  I avoid crowds and guard my movements at all times.

My wife is with me when I go outside. I have learned the importance of pacing myself and setting expectations that I can meet.

Perhaps your husband could look at different ways to enjoy his hobbies, like take a break from his painting after 15 minutes.

Hope this helps, importantly I enjoy life to the full.
  • Emerald48
    Thank you for your help.  He is learning to cope vey well
    not too bad at the moment.  As long as he doesn’t get stressed when he does he gets worse  as you say it is important to enjoy life

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Emerald48

I again, came across this, that might assist.

It is the Brain & Spine Foundation helpline, that helps with balance problems.

Suggest your husband, might want to give them a call, for spific advise.

This is a Nurse Led helpline tel: 0808 808 1000.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Emerald48
    Thanks I will tell him

Brightness